Busted my Driveshaft U-Joint :(

Mini-L320

The car has been shaking and making alot of clunking noise when I take off and let of the gas. Has been doing it ever since September (Burnout Competition)

So I went to my local Dunkin Donuts to get me some Hot Cocoa :D and coming out of the parking lot into the main road I took of at around 3000rpm's (cars where coming from both directions)Dumped the Clutch and next thing you know I hear a Big Bang, put the tranny in Neutral as soon as I heard that, car still had some momentum and made it to a Red Light. Got out the car and looked under and didnt even see the driveshaft, looked back and there it was, haha :P The back U-Joint gave out, there was some tranny fluid that dripped out.

I guess thats what I get for doing to many Burnouts, hehe :D . Any ideas where I can find a Brand New Complete Driveshaft?

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Id tell you to replace it yourself but most times when a ujoint goes you screw up a yoke or something.If the yokes are unbroken/cracked bent and you have access to a decent vice and an assortment of sockets replace the ujoint yourself and save a few bucks...

Check out your wrecking yards, if you cant find one there, call around to all your local parts stores (Napa, Kragen, carquest...) and see who they would recommend to build you a new one. If the same name/shop keeps popping up USE THEM, even if it costs you a little more. If you save a few bucks and have to take it back a few times because of shitty vibrations youre not saving a damn thing.

If youre yokes are still good the shop may be able to reuse them and save you a couple bucks, let them make the call.

Bad driveshaft vibrations can also knock out the bearings/seals in your rear end and transmission which will cost you even more money/time down the road.

...Youre lucky that the oncoming traffic was able to/did stop, ujoints are right up there with brakes as far as safety is concerned. Check out Bonvos thread on his first 610 to see how a datto fares when it gets T-boned.

Thanks for the info Mike. This is the first time I've busted a driveshaft, hehe :P . I've called every Car Parts Store and no luck finding anything.

And yes this Driveshaft that I got was from a 77 B210 as well as the 4 speed tranny, I've notice that the u-joints can be replaced easily like some newer cars.

Im also very lucky that I was only down the road from my house. :)