1980 4 spd. to 5 speed question

wayno

Hi there ratsun folk, i am wondering what I have to use on my 1980 datsun 720 when I change it from a long shaft 4 speed to a 1985 short shaft 5 speed, I already have the short shaft built with the L series front case, what I am wondering is do I use the 1980 clutch fork and throwout bearing or the 1985 fork and throwout bearing? I am guessing the 1980 hardware. I know it's a 4 spd, but i do not know what type of 4 spd. thankyou wayno

DSCN0143.jpg

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Keep and use the 80 collar, but replace the high wear bearing. Be sure to pack with bearing grease as they are sold dry. Put a little grease in the cavity in the carrier's inside before slipping on the input spline and clipping to the clutch arm. Put a dab of lithium grease on the pivot ball and lightly wipe the input splines.

Check the location of the reverse light switch. (it's the one just behind the clutch arm) the 5 speed is about an inch more forward than the 4 speed. To use a 4 speed case you would have to drill and thread a new hole and plug the old.

Check the location of the reverse light switch. (it's the one just behind the clutch arm) the 5 speed is about an inch more forward than the 4 speed. To use a 4 speed case you would have to drill and thread a new hole and plug the old.

So there almost the same, i ask because i remembered i have a shortshaft 5 spd. with no speedo drive, but do not have an extra 80 L20b 5 spd. case. Thankyou, I think i'll use that tranny on this project since it's a 4X4. Thanks again wayno

Hey there Datzenmike, the 4 speed transmission case was basicly the same as the 5 speed case, the rev. switch was in the same spot as the Z case I replaced. It seems to go into all the gears properly although with no gear lube in it, it feels strange, a little sticky at first, but I normally dont use the shifter at eye level either. Thankyou for the information. wayno