Kick panels and parcel shelf

zed1

I am fabricating new kick panels and parcel shelf using the old ones as templates. The prior owner painted the original panels when they "repaired" the floorboards. My question; Does anyone know if the original panels were painted by Nissan the exterior color of the truck (blue in my case) or where they painted black?

Thanks,

Keith

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I assume you are talking about a 520 by looking at your profile. The package tray on the 520 was metal with a masonite bottom. I'm not sure if they were any color than black. Now that I looked through my 520 pics i notice A lot of them had the 521 all cardboard parcel tray. Anyway I prefer the 320/520 metal style over the 521 style. I cant wait to see what you make.

For reference I'm trying to find out if the 320 tray and the 520 tray have the same dimensions to them. I suspect they do but am not sure.

A couple pics.

SANY1566.jpg

SANY1595.jpg

Here is a photo of the original shelf panel in the 520.

My link

Here is a photo of the shelf panel and kick panels I cut from fibreboard. I have coated it with 2 coats of polyurethane. My next step is to scuff the polyurethane, which will allow the color coat to stick.

My link

Here is one of the fuzzy strips for the doors (there are four in all) that I am restoring. I removed the old fuzzy material and located a similar fuzzy material at a local hardware store. (This material is sold by the foot and used for screen and storm doors.) The material is about ½ the width of the original strip, so I am using two parallel pieces to ensure the glass has plenty of surface area for contact.

My link

Keith

The fibreboard came from Home Depot.

I also purchased Kraft Tan Wateproof Panelboard (My link from a local upholstery shop. I was considering using the panelboard for the door panels (since it is already moisture-resistant). However, this material is designed for sewing door panels and therefore is less dense (and lighter). Since I have the fibreboard and am already applying polyurethane to the kick panels, I may not use the panelboard.

The window fuzzy strips are on a spool at a local hardware store. They are not planning to purchase additional stock (it has been on their shelves for 5-10 years) since the demand is so low.

• 3 months later...

Zed1 I am curious to see how the fuzzies worked out for you and if you have pictures of the process. My fuzzies are in bad shape too. I am a little scared to take out the piece. I don't want to screw up the hardware while I am at it.

I have not installed the fuzzy strips. Several months ago, I had used 3M Super 90 spray adhesive to adhere the two thin strips to the metal backing. I have had the assembled strips sitting on a shelf for 3-4 months and there has been no shinkage of the strips. I do not plan to install the strips until I locate a replacement window channel weatherstip. (The clips that hold the fuzzy strips to the doors are vely fragile, so I do not want to install/remove the strips too many times.)