rear diff swap

Dirk Diggler

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just curious as to what LSD everyone recommends for a 70 240. I know that the r200 is a popular choice, but does anyone have any experience with anything else?

The S31used a clutch LSD R 200 3.70 but they are HEAVY! The Z31 can also use, and all Z32 use a viscous LSD I think

• 2 weeks later...

R180 is what you currently have in your car (if it is stock), switching to an R200 won't for sure make it an LSD R200. There are numerous R200s out there, all with different gear ratio and LSD type: Clutch LSD vs. Viscious LSD. Depending on what car they came out of will depend gear ratio, whether or not it is LSD, and if so, which LSD it has (CLSD vs VLSD). Straight from www.datsunzgarage.com which I have had helped me a TON:

R200 gear ratio:

'75-79 280Z(X)s had a 3.54

'81-83 turbo ZX's had a 3.54

'81-83 non-turbo ZX's had a 3.90

the '85-86 200SX turbo had a 4.11

the '87-89 LSD was a 3.70

LIMITED SLIP DIFFERENTIALS

Despite the performance of the Z, Nissan only made a limited slip diff very late in the Z's life. They made 2 types: a standard LSD and a LSD with a viscous internal drive. The 1987-89 Turbo 300ZX's had the "good" 3.70 LSD, and can be identified by it's finned rear cover. This cover needs to be replaced with the smooth R200 cover to fit properly to the 280Z mustache bar and the front driveshaft flange needs to be replaced with the one your driveshaft uses. The '88 white SE 300ZX came with the "viscous-drive" R200, and can be identified by a sticker on the driver-side of the diff that says "VISCOUS LSD". While the viscous model fits into an earlier Z, R200 halfshafts don't lock into them without some fabrication of new halfshaft fittings.

Give us some more info on the car, what you're looking to get out of it (hopes and dreams and then something realistic), and we can help you out from there. I will be running an L28 (F54 bottom/P79 head), dome top SUs, '81 5 spd, '81 3.90 R200. Pretty much a bolt in application.

R180 Subaru diffs work also (and possibly better), it was just much easier for me to work with what I have.

Info on the car:

70 240z

All original except color

My hopes are realistic for this car. I just want to get it looking as good as it did from the factory, with the addition of a few cosmetic and mechanical upgrades. The only changes I want to make mechanically are the rear diff, and rear rear sway bar. I only want to change those to improve the handling and driving pleasure. Pretty much I want to make the only changes needed to make an almost perfect car perfect.