BIG brakes for 510...ratsun style (cheap)

race-rodz

first, this isnt quite a bolt on, minimal machine work needed, all the parts are common JY/ebay and parts store items. one of my goals was to convert to 5 lug with the project.

parts list:

280zx struts

z31t hubs

z32 calipers

crown vic 12.4" rotors

the hub needs machined down to fit the center bore of the crown vic rotor, then a .375 MS bracket fabbed to bolt up the caliper. studs are press in 4x4 chevy, the bolt holes in the hub reamed to fit the bigger knurl, then some .250" spacers to fill the void between the hub/rotor. the caliper mount on the strut gets drilled and tapped to bolt up the adapter bracket. the holes are 12mm, and the next size up "common" in my case was a 9/16 NFT, i dont have alot of metric taps/bolts

img0483sy0.jpg

img0485rg2.jpg

img0486mu2.jpg

img0489to0.jpg

img0490qi7.jpg

this is way overkill, when i first started collecting parts and told what i planned on doin over at the 510 realm... i caught a lot of shit for "too big, heavy, overkill" obviously i did it anyway, brakes are one area that i feel can never be too much, especially when i plan on track thrashing the car.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I wrote a portion of this up on Hybrid Z a couple of years ago (using '87 300ZXT hubs, opening up the pilot hole bore on the Crown Vic rotor, and using the long lug studs to sandwich the two together), but I never installed it on my Zcar because I felt it was just too massive. However, I had sourced my rotors from a Police Interceptor Crown Vic in the JY and they were cross-drilled. I figured the cross-drilling might represent a weight reduction as well as being functional and looking cool (shameless pun). Now I'm wondering if the drilled rotors might be beefed-up vs the std Crown Vic rotors.

I still have my set up out in the garage and have considered adapting it to my Starion, but I'm still put off by the weight issue.

OK, I just measured the weight of (one side) my squad car rotor and 300ZXT combo (with bearings) and it weighs 28.5 lbs! Could you weigh one of your hub/non-police car rotor setups to compare? If the standard passenger car rotors are less massive, then I might reconsider using this design.

DAW