510 280z 5 speed driveshaft?

troyt

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think there is one that will fit that is close enough. So shortening your stock one is the only real option.

Too bad you don't have a goon. I hear that the sedan driveshaft is within 1/2" of the ideal length if you put a 620 or 280z/zx 5 speed in it.

Thanks Mike. The project is for my race goon that has an IRS in it. I'm running a flanged output Comp 5 speed with a modded Roadster driveshaft now, but my race-spare trans is a splined Z 5-speed that I need to put a driveshaft together for. I don't have any driveshafts, just trying to figure which one to track down. Sounds like a shortened 510 4-speed shaft might be the ticket.

If both transmissions are the same length, could you not just unbolt the spline from the comp unit and bolt it back on the drive shaft and run it in the end of the 280zx tranny?

The early 'A' comp trans has no output splines at all, just a flanged plate bolted onto the threaded output shaft. So I use a Roadster driveshaft with a splined two-piece tube. Hmm, I guess I could take another two piece driveshaft and have a splined end welded on istead of the flange and only have to carry one third of a driveshaft with my spare trans.