280zx vertical mount master cylinder

kondog

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Basically a question for Mike: ..... when I swap the 280zx struts into my 710 ........ what would be the best master cylinder to use???

It seems like my stock brake booster is leaking ...... and the motor runs better with the booster hose plugged

Would a 280zx master and booster fit??? ........ or can I get a new 710 booster and use a 280zx master cylinder???

I had m/c problems with my sedan. I have an S110 and an S12 200sx boster/m/c and it won't clear the clutch m/c or the steering column. Tried several boosters and they don't fit... to large a diameter. I did use the 200sx S110 master though. It's 7/8" and larger than the stock 3/4" 710 and the peddle is firmer. But I only used it because I had it and it worked. Stick with the 710 booster.

Generally a larger caliper needs a larger master to fill it. There are differences between a disc front / drum rear master and a disc/disc master. If the ZX has rear disc I think you will need to swap the rear residual pressure valve in the master. I think the zx is a 15/16 master.

Up to Aug '81 (08 '81) the 15/16 NABCO master has vertical mounting bolts and dual reservoirs. After they are horizontal mount and single reservoir..

Vertical mount 46010 P6500 .......fits turbo and non turbo cars.

Generally a larger caliper needs a larger master to fill it. There are differences between a disc front / drum rear master and a disc/disc master. If the ZX has rear disc I think you will need to swap the rear residual pressure valve in the master. I think the zx is a 7/8" master.

Mike,

you were right the first time. The 280ZX master is 15/16". The early cars 1979 - 8/1981 had the vertical bolt pattern and the later cars 9/1981 - 1983 had the horizontal bolt pattern.

I used to run 280ZX front brakes and stock rear brakes, the stock 510 master was not good with this setup but then I installed rear wheel cylinders from a Datsun 1200. The 1200 cylinders are 11/16" vs. the 510 wheel cylinders 13/16". The smaller wheel cylinder increased the volume of fluid to the front brakes and this setup worked well.

My VG car will have 280ZX front and rear brakes so I am using the 15/16" master from the ZX. I am installing a booster from a B210 and it fits well and clears the clutch master fine.