Rust and the 521 floor boards

Roger

They seem to eventualy rust, even in deepest Nevada. So, how do you deal with it effectively? What is the rusting process? Does it begin on the inside of the cab and rust towards the outside, or does it start underneith by the frame? I have not seen new sheet metal pans for sale, so I guess you have to save what you have. Best to start with the best pans you can, I am guessing.

POR15 claims they can stop rust and they have a floor pan kit. I have a ton of POR15 experience, and have to wonder about ytheir claims. The nature of the kit implys that the rust begins from the inside of the cab and rusts outward; If you can seal the interior, you save the pans. I say this because the kit if for application on the inside of the cab.Sure looks good in the pics, but how does it hold up in the rust belt here in the east? Any first hand experience fixing a 521 floor, out there? How successful were you? How many years ago did you do this, and and what kind of weather have you thrown at the new floor? Did it start to rust again?mThanks, Roger( Still looking for an original 521).

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Depends on where you live Roger, if you live back east where they use salt on the roads your car will rust where that salt gets on the vehicle, anywhere dirt and salt water gathers, top of the frame and ledges on the frame, inside the fenders, ect. Here where I live, water gets in the truck threw the seals, broken windows, ect. after setting long periods of time wet it rusts the floor boards under the carpets(the carpet holds moisture), sometimes rodents make nests that hold water under the seats, ect; also trucks set under trees and never dry out, around the ground is the worst, grass grows up around the rockers and they rust away. Then there is the coast vehicles, they just rust away everywhere on there body, it's the worst where dew/condensation doesn't evaporate quickly. wayno

A winter project of mine is replacing the floor on the drivers side of my 521. I haven't found anything as far as new pans so I'm just going to shape and fab one up out of some steel and weld it in when I cut the old one out. And for what its worth, since mine has spent quite a few years in salty ohio...my rotted from the inside out.

Thanks, that means a lot. Rusting from the inside seems to be the way my 79 toyota rusted, too, all those years ago. I did help it along by spilling coffee quite often and not sopping it up before it found its way to the metal. I can-protect it with the POR15 kit, or just POR15, then.

Maybe some nice cookie baking sheets will work for your floor replacement...ummmm cookies........