Leaky Windshield

jboulukos

I have a leak in my windshield (1978 B210 2 door coupe). When it rains, and the car is parked, I will return to it and see approximately a cup of water on the drivers side floor(I've had to cut out the drivers side carpet because of this). I believe the leak is from windshield and is dripping on down the inside of the firewall and collecting at the floor of the drivers side. Now, I've tried silicone on the outside and it hasn't helped.

My questions:

- Can I have this fixed by having a professional re-seal the windshield by removing the windshield and applying black goop stuff around the window? If so, how will this be done without bending and destroying the delicate exterior chrome stripping that outlines the rubber seal? Do they make aftermarket windshield surrounds?

Any thoughts on this would be great. I'd like to repair this first then install a new molded carpet.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Are you positive it is the windshield? I have seen a leak that I thought was the windshield and tried to silicone the outside as well only to find out that it was coming through a panel seam where the seam sealer had dried up and come out.It came right down the kick panel and pooled on the floor.

Are you positive it is the windshield? I have seen a leak that I thought was the windshield and tried to silicone the outside as well only to find out that it was coming through a panel seam where the seam sealer had dried up and come out.It came right down the kick panel and pooled on the floor.

Thanks for your input. I have seen a stream of water trickling from the wall above to the left of the brake pedal and higher up. I should confrim this by spraying a hose on the driver's side windshield surrounds(15 degrees in Chicago right now and she's in the garage away from road salt...) But, still I am not sure to answer your question. So you say a panel seam... on the floor board? I'm not certain I can vision this. For example, I parked my car outside in front of my friends home in Aberdeen for a weekend. It rained pretty hard. When I returned 1.5 days later, there was about a liter of water pooling on the drivers floor (bare metal as I had already removed the carpet and padding). I do have a knock in my drivers door hinge when opening it to the last allowed degrees of motion. Water may be coming in through the door? Not sure. But I do know that I've seen the trickle from above the gas and brake pedal and to the left on the inside of the firewall (AM I'm saying this correct? The wall behinf the pedals.) Thanks again for the inquiry. I will certainly appreciate any further input. Take good care.

On a 510 where the inner fender connects to the firewall there are seams that the factory used sealer on. they spot weld all the panels and then use seam sealer to weatherproof and protect. after a while this can dry up , harden and chip out. Then water runs down into those seams and can flow right into the car. It took me a while to trouble shoot this and find where it was coming in from. I don't know how similar assembly is on the B210 for this.

On a 510 where the inner fender connects to the firewall there are seams that the factory used sealer on. they spot weld all the panels and then use seam sealer to weatherproof and protect. after a while this can dry up , harden and chip out. Then water runs down into those seams and can flow right into the car. It took me a while to trouble shoot this and find where it was coming in from. I don't know how similar assembly is on the B210 for this.

thanks for the great advice for troubleshooting. What product should I use to re-seal the seams from the firwall to the inner fender?

• 4 weeks later...

I have a leak in my windshield (1978 B210 2 door coupe). When it rains, and the car is parked, I will return to it and see approximately a cup of water on the drivers side floor(I've had to cut out the drivers side carpet because of this). I believe the leak is from windshield and is dripping on down the inside of the firewall and collecting at the floor of the drivers side. Now, I've tried silicone on the outside and it hasn't helped.

My questions:

- Can I have this fixed by having a professional re-seal the windshield by removing the windshield and applying black goop stuff around the window? If so, how will this be done without bending and destroying the delicate exterior chrome stripping that outlines the rubber seal? Do they make aftermarket windshield surrounds?

Any thoughts on this would be great. I'd like to repair this first then install a new molded carpet.

having exact same problem.I,m sure mine is coming from windows.ran water from garden hose over front cowl vents and fenders for about ten minutes no water.then ran the water over the roof windshield trim for ten minutes.drips started showing......as far as removing the windshield.....I have been searching for new rubber for it for a year and no one seems to have any for my car (hatchback)good luck update if you find a solution.

I swore they botched my windshield replacement when I saw a puddle of water on the floor.

Turns out I followed the leak down the side and it was on the seal where the firewall meets the inside of the fender just behind the hood mounts/hinges.

If it isn't dripping and is running down the side, you can dust it with something (flower maybe) then hit it with the hose and see where it is coming from. That's how I found mine.

I swore they botched my windshield replacement when I saw a puddle of water on the floor.

Turns out I followed the leak down the side and it was on the seal where the firewall meets the inside of the fender just behind the hood mounts/hinges.

If it isn't dripping and is running down the side, you can dust it with something (flower maybe) then hit it with the hose and see where it is coming from. That's how I found mine.

my next step in tracking down the leak thanks