Australian datsun 620 project

kona480

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

nah i dont think it will, maybe pulling the other way though? steering wheel and shifter off it'll go the other way if you're tricky with maneuvering the column about so you can either drop or lift the steering box clear of the frame

Yeah I might have to, I can't get the steering wheel off though. I cant use a puller because the only thing to hook it onto is the indicator switch and there is a warning sticker on the wheel saying don't hammer it. Is there another way other than just pulling like crazy? haha

undo the middle nut nice, but undo it so the nut is about 2 or 3 turns before coming off completely (ie leave the nut attached onto the column, but so theres a nice gap on the shaft between the nut and the steering wheel

now with the steering wheel, get some WD40/5.56/penetrant lubricant and using a rag to make sure it doesnt drip everywhere, give the splined bit a good blast. leave it for a little bit (a minute or so will do it), then get comfortable and start pulling, wiggle it off kinda thing so pull it back and forward one side at a time (side to side and up and down) and it'll come off fair easy. not so much about strength as it is about how you do it :D

if you dont leave that nut off, the steering wheel will likely let go of the shaft nice and quick and the nut will stop it flying off and into your face. it hurts :P ive done it twice before learning my lesson hah so leave that nut on and you wont end up kissing the wheel

undo the middle nut nice, but undo it so the nut is about 2 or 3 turns before coming off completely (ie leave the nut attached onto the column, but so theres a nice gap on the shaft between the nut and the steering wheel

now with the steering wheel, get some WD40/5.56/penetrant lubricant and using a rag to make sure it doesnt drip everywhere, give the splined bit a good blast. leave it for a little bit (a minute or so will do it), then get comfortable and start pulling, wiggle it off kinda thing so pull it back and forward one side at a time (side to side and up and down) and it'll come off fair easy. not so much about strength as it is about how you do it :D

if you dont leave that nut off, the steering wheel will likely let go of the shaft nice and quick and the nut will stop it flying off and into your face. it hurts :P ive done it twice before learning my lesson hah so leave that nut on and you wont end up kissing the wheel

this man has the right idea :P

Yeah I sprayed some wd40 on it yesterday, this time it just came straight off, no pulling required. I also unbolted the steering box from the chassis. I just need to pull the column out then the cab should come off. I have 3 days of work left then 2 weeks off to get stuck into the datto : D

• 2 weeks later...

I finally got the steering column out, and the column shift. Now the cab is ready to come off so I am going to borrow a mates engine crane tomorrow, hopefully the crane and a few pwople will be enough to lift it off. After that is done I can get working on the chassis.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 years later...