z32 engine/trans configurations

jputz

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

yeah some further research agrees with what you said. They are not the same you need an adapter to mounnt the z32 bellhousing to the z31 trans if I am reading it properly. hmmm maybe I will get it anyway and see if can dig up a tranny, I do work for LKQ so it shouldnt be to big of an issue.

damn trans is gonna cost me as much as the engine.

Might have to go with the z31 and spend the extra money on some upgrades when I rebuild it.

I have two options a 273k mile one and a 173k mile one. Both NA. Hmmmmm which one should I choose?? Keep in mind that they are the same price. If I pull them they will run me about $450 a piece for the engine and tranny.

Or found one in Jacksonville that is in a running 85 300zx turbo for $500 which is very tempting. Decisions Decisions.

There were 3 transmissions used on the Z31 the FS5R90A the FS5W71C and the later FS5R30A. I have to assume you are wanting to use the FS5R30A on a later Z32 VG?

FS5R30A used in the '86 and up VG30T Z31

FS5R30AZ31001.jpg

RS5R30A used on the '90-'96 VG30DTT Z32

FS5R30AZ32007Large.jpg

These two are alleged to have identical internal parts and gears. The tailstock and shift mechanism is obviously different. If so, possibly the front cases could be swapped if the VG mounting bolts are different?

Yeah... what mike said.....

Except the FS5R30A that matches the Z32 tranny is from the 88 turbo only, 84 to 87 turbos came with a T-5 called a FS5R90A, while the 'R30A DOES bolt to the Z32 block the bellhousings can also be swapped at the mid-plate as long as its from an 88 turbo (check the aluminium ID plate on the firewall, it will list the tranny model on it) It should have an LSD R200 in it too, but the starter mounting is different between the two cars and you'll want to know which setup your using unless you can grab everything from both cars (the starter from the Z31 will interfere with the turbo on the Z32).

Just to be clear the other trannys also pretty much bolt up, but they are smaller, the non turbo tranny is basically the same FS5W71C in the 240SX and therefore weaker, the T-5 R90A is a little stronger but its not really smooth, if the Z32 engine your after is a turbo and you cant find a 'R30A you'd be better off using that Z32 auto belhousing grafted on a supra AX15 tranny, but its also huge.

BTW none of them will work with the stock Z32 flywheel (when you see the starter you'll see why).