521 wiring

MannyWSPD161

OK guys I hope you can help. I got some of the wires mixed up as I'm putting my engine back in my 521. It's a stock L16 in a 1972 521. Some of the wiring diagrams I've seen don't match up to what I have. Can I get a picture of the coil/resistor area along with the dizzy. I think I have it but a picture would help. As always thank in advance.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have looked at that and the problem is that it doesn't show the resistor or the relay switch above the resistor in the engine compartment. There are three wires coming out of it, one of them is a blu/whi but it has been cut. i think I found where it came from but the person who owned the truck before me had this wire going directly to the second set of points and not back into the resistor....I'm just no sure. I'll try to post a pic later maybe that will clear it up.

the blk /wht wire goes to the white ballast resistor. this will be key ON.

there will be a lug that has 2 wire stuck in it. this will go to the + side coil. there should be a short wire out of this lug . you put this to the other end of the ballast resistor. this Lug w 2wire wire will be Key in START.

to test this pull starter wire then put key in START.

the second set of points I dont even use. this wil be the side of the distributor will the same capicitor on out side.

The main set is the big capicitor on out side of distributor towards the motor.

the rest I think tou can figure out but if comfused just make a wire from the big capcitor output to the minus side coil and should run.

best to get a pertronix or a Matchbox and dump the points.

find soembody in your area that can help you this is asimple fix

PS dont change the coil its designed for the point system. Dont be buying Bling coils unless you know the ohm resisitance.