Steering box flush?

Just Joel

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I wouldn't use solvent in case you can't get it all out. Flush with ATF and drain. Rinse with GL-4, drain and re-fill.

Having said that.... maybe brake cleaner. It's a solvent without hydrocarbons and dries completely. I'll ask those that have tried this on the 510 Realm? I'd be curious to know what they think. After all we all have gear boxes.

I wouldn't use solvent in case you can't get it all out. Flush with ATF and drain. Rinse with GL-4, drain and re-fill.

Having said that.... maybe brake cleaner. It's a solvent without hydrocarbons and dries completely. I'll ask those that have tried this on the 510 Realm? I'd be curious to know what they think. After all we all have gear boxes.

Thanks... I was thinking brake cleaner as well... And like you said, give it plenty of time to dry out... Let me know what you find.

Later

Joel

Thanks... I was thinking brake cleaner as well... And like you said, give it plenty of time to dry out... Let me know what you find.

Later

Joel

Well the view is to not use and solvent cleaners unless dismantling and cleaning/drying thoroughly. Empty and refill. Any few drips of old would not dilute the new oil to any appreciable amount.

Yes ATF would be a better lube to flush with. A turkey baster with a hose will work for those with boxes that are in.

When I rebuilt mine recently I flushed it with solvent. Good luck finding all the oil seals and such if you're planning on replacing them. There is one in there that is NLA but its just a normal 24ID x 35OD x 7H double lip oil seal will work.... this is the one at the bottom by the pitman arm, btw.

When I rebuilt mine recently I flushed it with solvent. Good luck finding all the oil seals and such if you're planning on replacing them. There is one in there that is NLA but its just a normal 24ID x 35OD x 7H double lip oil seal will work.... this is the one at the bottom by the pitman arm, btw.

More info on where you found the seals and original application? Write up on the rebuild?

Thanks

Joel

• 1 year later...