New Ratsun dog! Oliver

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah it is a pain for sure Foxy! I get it. They deal with dogs who were exposed to the worst human bastards on the planet on a regular basis. They want to be as sure as possible they have a better life. Shelters are also screen, but not to this degree. Not only was the application really involved, but my wife went above and beyond and wrote as essay about our family to help sway them. Made it personal. Mentioned we were artists and sent them links to both of our professional websites. Offered to send a picture of our yard. She covered all the bases!

It helps that we both work at home for sure. Have two acres. Late 30's (rather than early 20's). Own, rather than rent. (Though the bank owns it for real!) Vet references. Dog watcher references. Knowledge that we've had our current rescued dog for her full 15 years (poor thing is getting up there!). The list goes on and on.

Here is a warning for folks thinking of using petfinder though! I was told yesterday to make sure you check out the rescue you are getting your dog from. Bad Amish pet mills have been getting rid of their unwanted unhealthy dogs on Petfinder posing as rescues and misrepresenting the animals. They don't usually screen as hard. Thankfully this Boston Rescue is well documented. Has their own website, facebook, and a ton of testamonials. They actually drove this dog 10 hrs for us just because they wanted him to travel with a specific shipper the rest of the way.

We even had to sign an agreement that if for whatever reason we don't want this little guy any more he will go back to the same shelter in OK.

This is my granddaughter's"Oliver".

Dyejob.jpg

That is great! Heh my daughter is already talking about dressing this dapper little dude up in frilly girl clothes! Noooo! He is doomed!

Yeah it is a pain for sure Foxy! I get it. They deal with dogs who were exposed to the worst human bastards on the planet on a regular basis. They want to be as sure as possible they have a better life. Shelters are also screen, but not to this degree. Not only was the application really involved, but my wife went above and beyond and wrote as essay about our family to help sway them. Made it personal. Mentioned we were artists and sent them links to both of our professional websites. Offered to send a picture of our yard. She covered all the bases!

It helps that we both work at home for sure. Have two acres. Late 30's (rather than early 20's). Own, rather than rent. (Though the bank owns it for real!) Vet references. Dog watcher references. Knowledge that we've had our current rescued dog for her full 15 years (poor thing is getting up there!). The list goes on and on.

Here is a warning for folks thinking of using petfinder though! I was told yesterday to make sure you check out the rescue you are getting your dog from. Bad Amish pet mills have been getting rid of their unwanted unhealthy dogs on Petfinder posing as rescues and misrepresenting the animals. They don't usually screen as hard. Thankfully this Boston Rescue is well documented. Has their own website, facebook, and a ton of testamonials. They actually drove this dog 10 hrs for us just because they wanted him to travel with a specific shipper the rest of the way.

We even had to sign an agreement that if for whatever reason we don't want this little guy any more he will go back to the same shelter in OK.

I've pretty much given up on it, I'm a vet student even so dog care is one of the things I have to follow by ethics and well the little guys deserve to be treated better then they had been. Not to mention do own the house now.. I think its cool what they do but I think they turn away a lot of good people..

So I'll be seeing a breeder when I finish the datsun to go get my partner the breed she wanted, which is actually kinda hard to find..

I've pretty much given up on it, I'm a vet student even so dog care is one of the things I have to follow by ethics and well the little guys deserve to be treated better then they had been. Not to mention do own the house now.. I think its cool what they do but I think they turn away a lot of good people..

So I'll be seeing a breeder when I finish the datsun to go get my partner the breed she wanted, which is actually kinda hard to find..

Holy crap they turned down a Vet Student?!? CRAZY! But you sure have me curious what breed you are chasing! Do tell!

• 2 weeks later...

We should fab out some little Rats n Wrenches dog tags for their collars! I would put those on 2 of my dogs! (not the little guy he's a jerk lol)

Fisch I noticed your pup has the yellow tag for microchipping.... does the shelter do homeagain now? Before they did AVID which leaves a bit to be desired, they actually charge you to put them in your address after charging you for the chip. I got my pit bulls chip at a discount (10%) as part of her puppy package(PRICEY but worth it) and there was no extra fee for the registering.

HA great idea!^^ And BTW he has turned out to be an awesome lil guy! The only downside is that he is a farting machine!!!! Has to do with short snout dogs ingesting alot of air while they eat and the diet. We are trying to find that right food. And he also came with a parasite in his tummy. A really common one that we and dogs always have but under times of stress (ie new home) can manifest a bit stronger. So he in on pills.

But even with the toots he is a keeper!!!

My Nina (the pitbull) wakes herself up with her farts! Its hilarious.

May I recommend Canidae? It's a holistic food with out holistic prices, you can get it at almost all feed stores too. It's processed in a human grade facility too and if you have a problem with anything they're very on top of customer service. My uncle is a breeder and he turned me onto the stuff and the dogs love it and I love how soft they are when they eat it! (It has added fish oils and omegas) And you can usually find 44lb bags for ~$35 so it's great when you're feeding 7 cups of food a day!

Canidae

I'm done sounding like a commercial lol

Turns out my wife says our senior dog (15 yrs old) is on their senior formula! So looks like you hit it on the head. Right now Oliver is on really high end stuff almost 100% meat, no corn filler (Corn can make these dogs fart I have read!). But thankfully he doesn't eat much!

The next step will be a fart formula made by our local pet supplier specifically for farty dogs. Dave's pet food center. They have about 3 stores and make their own brand of dog food. Pretty cool!

Part of me wonders if clearing up the parasite will clear up some of the bombage too!

Yeah Boston's are Farting Machines! Ours constantly scares himself. Our French Bulldogs are just as bad but they dont even move when they do it, just continue with what ever they are doing.

Does he bark with a Boston Accent?

Our pit Lucy Furr clears rooms with her farts. I hate when she bombs out the van. We have the kids convinced not to feed her human food cuz we told them that's what makes her stink.