Clutch Fan Water Pump

I met a Dimer with a Datsun 510 wagon in Port Orchard... He gave me a business card... Said he had a clutch fan water pump he could sell me... Long story short, lost the business card.. So thought I would try the forum... Thanks...

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Clutch fan water pump sounds like a headache .......... it will be REALLY close to the stock radiator

What's wrong with the stock L16 waterpump and fan???? ........ you can get a brand new stock L16 water-pump that is guaranteed to fit

He may simply be replacing it as the 510s did come with them.

Here are the two sizes. The smaller tend to be on L16/18 and L20B cars and trucks. The larger are from Z20/22/24 equipped cars and trucks. The larger may also be on L24/26/28 Z cars?

motorclutchfansLarge.jpg

Beware the cheap rebuild ones with the stamped out sheet metal impellers. Good ones are cast.

Clutch fan water pump sounds like a headache .......... it will be REALLY close to the stock radiator

What's wrong with the stock L16 waterpump and fan???? ........ you can get a brand new stock L16 water-pump that is guaranteed to fit

Clutch fan WP is a pain in the ass for a few reasons: [1] they sometimes don't last very long and either the pump

or the clutch can fail (I've got two no-good ones, one bad clutch, one siezed bearings); [2] the viscous clutch is

press fitted to the pump shaft so it can't be replaced separately; [3] it fits, but gives even less clearance than the

standard fixed fan on a 510.

On the plus side, they're great until they stop working - a little power gain, better gas mileage.

The fixed fan can be improved by dynamic balancing. I know from having balanced them that they're badly

imbalanced as they come out of the mold, which hastens water pump failure if you drive hard. I routinely

hit 7000+ autocrossing with a stock 4 blade fan I balanced, didn't eat any WP's but also didn't test it for high

mileage either. I got over 50k out of WP's running no fan on the street, but they would only last 25 or 30k

with an un-balanced stock fan installed. Never tried using electric fans, and I got away with no fan by being

careful of temps.

I have the type of fan you see on the left of Datzenmike's photo.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.