280zx upgrade question

thisisn8n

hi there. im looking into eventually swapping in a CA18 turbo into my wagon. my question is..... will the 280zx struts and brake upgrade will be enough stopping power for the added power. also unsure of what would be a good choice of brakes for the rear. from what ive searched, not the same rear brake a suspension upgrades work for the wagon.. correct?

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The wagon has an H-190 solid axle with drums. Because of forward weight shift when braking the front tires are forced down onto the pavement increasing their traction. Larger brakes can be used to advantage here but the rears loose weight and traction so it's too easy to have them slip and lock up. Rear brakes provide about 20% or less of the actual braking effort so the stock drums are probably just fine when properly set up. I know that some swap to rear disc but these are really mostly for show. They do have the advantage of having fewer parts, lighter, easier to service and better lock up control than drums. Are they better? Meh... slightly better maybe but not way better. If you are racing they would be vastly more fade resistant from severe heat build up than drums but for a street car not really cost effective.

My question for you about the rear is, are you planing on keeping the rear axle? With a CA easily pushing 200hp you could run into some issues. Im planning a similar swap, but thinking I might go with a ford or toyota rear end. Basically dont invest in the rear til you know what your plan is.

The H-190 in the goon is good for almost 300 ft. lbs of torque, and it's the torque that thrashes diffs. Keep it full of fresh GL-5 every 3 years. No open rear will survive constant one tire smoke shows. The side and spiders just won't take it.

My question for you about the rear is, are you planing on keeping the rear axle? With a CA easily pushing 200hp you could run into some issues. Im planning a similar swap, but thinking I might go with a ford or toyota rear end. Basically dont invest in the rear til you know what your plan is.

when i first got the car i wanted to go with the 13b twin turbo swap. Upgrade to race suspension n brakes, ford rear end, the whole works. but since im not sure if i want to throw THAT many thousands of dollars into it. Rite now im gonna keep it kind of rat rod. almost done putting l18 in the car. Now im planning...

- either ca18 or turbo l18 (leaning toward ca18)

-280zx front suspension and brakes

-rebuilt rearend ..... ANY ONE KNOW IF THERES A LIMITED SLIP KIT???

-n possibly rear disc brak connv.

what do you think?

• 3 weeks later...

My main reason for wanting to swap the rear end was to gain LSD. I have not heard of much in the way of common LSD for the H190. You might be able to source a Roadster LSD for it, but its gonna cost as much as a ford rearend shortened to fit.