Mini Resto on the old man's car

Pedro

In the last year I've been assisting my dad a bit of a makeover on his Datsun. It started when we found a fully rebuilt FJ20 with forged pistons etc that he wanted to throw in his car as his motor was blowing a bit of smoke.

From there is spiraled as these things usually do;

It went from, swap the motor in and a front mount intercooler, to strip the engine bay, rub back and repaint. Install new brake master, clutch master, all new brake lines, all new front bushes and steering. GT28 turbo, custom radiator, electric water pump, MSD ignition, tidy up wiring, fabricate all new intercooler piping.

Anyway, some pics, it's been about a year now since it went offroad, and do to life has taken longer than expected, but over the last week I've had the car at my house so now it's moving alot quicker.

Here is a pic of how it looked prior to having the engine/box removed and the bay stripped back for paint.

simmons.jpg

Part of this original setup included a water to air intercooler using an RS liberty heat exchanger & pump and some custom jap cooler core. The engine bay paint was showing it's age (painted in 92) (see below) and the old water to air wasn't very efficient.

Old setup

currentsetup.jpg

Grill off showing water exchanger for old Water to air setup

heatexchange.jpg

Old radiator and cooler out

oldgearremoved.jpg

Checking cooler fitment, perfect. Due to the support already being opened for the N13 pulsar radiator.

coolersitting.jpg

Room showing the amount of space left with the cooler in. The fitting kit used for this car was a custom made kit (one of the early fj20 kits into a road going 510), so the motors sits a bit further forward than kits today, so we have a little less room.

Decision was made to purchase an electric water pump to give us the room needed for the radiator and thermo fan.

checkingspace.jpg

Grill will fit back on

grillon.jpg

Pic of radiator and cooler

rad.jpg

radcooler.jpg

untidy bay

extractors-1.jpg

More to come...

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A while back I'd acquired a custom DR30 exh manifold which I'd swapped to my old man for some money owing, so we mocked it up, but it turned out not to be a go'er on a 510 as the turbo didnt fit on. We could have rotated the housing but I wasn't happy with it so we looked at other options.

extractors-1.jpg

A friend happened to have an s12 (gazelle) manifold which places the turbo down the back of the motor past the mount, that coupled with a T2 flange adaptor. A GT28RS has been purchased with the aim of 200rwkw, plenty for a 62 yr old man.

turboandexhaust.jpg

Few more pics of the progression before we'd removed the old motor or started on the bay.

Dummied up Intercooler to see what cutting was needed. Marked the sides and a small bit off the front valance

cuttingforcooler.jpg

Now sits flush

nowsitsclose.jpg

Removing a bit from the sides of the rad support for rubber 90 degree bends

markedforcutting.jpg

Cut with a grinder

attackedwithgrinder.jpg

Cleaned up a bit with a file (finished later)

cleanedupwithgrinderandfile.jpg

Dummied up the rad and IC together, still deciding on how I'm going to mount them. Ideally something that holds them together would be good, will sort it out later.

You can see the space limitations and reason for cutting off the PS pulley

radcoolersetupgodzilla-1.jpg

radcoolersetupgodzilla2.jpg

Old motor out, new one awaiting bay to be painted.

oldandnew2.jpg

Worked out basic IC piping

coolerpiping.jpg

My mates old man made me a flange out of aluminum to suit a falcon XF throttle body which are 65mm. Another friend welded that on, then we gave the inlet a coat of VHT wrinkle red, didn't come out the best with a few fucked areas, but will look ok once there is some stuff covering it.

DSC02044.jpg

The old man cleaned up and painted a spare rocker cover with the VHT, came out good.

DSC02058.jpg

I skimmed the lettering off with a blade, then will polish the lettering once the car is back together. The red should look good against the white bay and give a factory look

DSC02060.jpg

At the moment we are fitting all new steering, bushes etc etc. Gave the booster a coast of black paint so will reinstall that with the new brake and clutch masters.

Got 6metres of bundy tube to do all the brake lines, then motor back in and reconnect wires, fuel, finish IC and radiator....

As I mentioned earlier the bay was untidy and needed a clean up.

emptybay.jpg

After much debating with my old man (he wanted to use rattle cans to paint it), I organised a mate to spray it, I took one for the team and started doing all the rubbing back as best I could, then we masked up and laid some primer down.

peacock.jpg

primer.jpg

primer2.jpg

Two weeks later he laid down the colour. Came out pretty good for a garage job after a few beers.

Painted6.jpg

Painted5.jpg

Painted4.jpg

Painted3.jpg

Painted2.jpg

Painted1.jpg

I left it with my brother and dad for a bit, and they got the following done.

Install of the engine/bix/tailshaft today.

Extended lower control arms & new extended steering arms

img1667large.jpg

New cross member & NOS eng mounts, brake master, clutch master and starting bending up new hard lines

img1668large.jpg

One rebuilt FJ

img1670large.jpg

New heavy clutch installed and box attached to the donk

img1671large.jpg

eng & box in with zero damage to paint - happys days

img1678large.jpg

Brake lines finished - Bleed & test was successful.

New dump pipe made and installed by exhaust shop, they did a great job.

img1693medium.jpg

img1695medium.jpg

Again not bad for a home job with a $50 ebay flaring tool and a coke bottle for bending. Total cost was $32 AUD for 6 metres of bundy tube, and about $20 for new brake line nuts.

img1694medium.jpg

Final update

So it's still not running, but it's pretty close, and I'm on leave til the end of this week, so hoping to get it done if not very close to.

As it sits;

IC_Front.jpg

enginebaynew.jpg

sideview.jpg

Gotta finish off cooler piping, turbo oil and water lines, fix up a bit of wiring, install the electric water pump, get a wheel alignment, run in tune etc etc etc, these things never end.

Also the red rocket cover will go on eventually, just not on the top of the list at the moment.

Most of that wiring will be hidden to hopefully, again, just want to get the thing running first.

Thanks for the feedback, we'll be using a Davies Craig EWP 80 electric water pump for this job, looks like this;

ewp80.jpg

http://www.daviescraig.com.au/Electric_Water_Pumps-EWP80__12V__ELECTRIC_WATER_PUMP___PART_No__8005-details.aspx

There are better options available in the US (can't think of the company name right now), but friends have used these before with success, so I just followed their lead as these are only $160 AUD or around that figure.

With SR20's you don't have the room constraints so they aren't really needed. They are good when sitting in hot traffic as they keep the water flowing (faster than a water pump spinning at idle).

Downside is it's another electrical item that can fail, and you can't run a thermostat with them.

cheers

• 3 months later...

Still plugging away on this car, but it's only waiting on a bit of wiring and a few hoses.

All IC piping is done, half the wiring is done. Also just got some new shoes for it

16x7 front

16x8 backs R8S Watanabes

WatanabeF8S1678.jpg

Modified throttle body warmers to make them turbo water lines

p510fj20.jpg

p510fj20-1.jpg

Cut off and blanked the one I circled above, rewelded back on on the front pipe and added a -8AN threaded attachment

welded.jpg

weldedwithfitting.jpg

Electric water pump mocked up, they are meant to free hang off the hose. Was worried about room before we had it together but seems to fit well.

IMG_2583.jpg

Locked my mate in to finish the wiring this weekend pending more 40 degree days, so fingers crossed.