New to me Datsun 210 2dr sedan

That's what the dashboard on my '79 wagon is supposed to look like! :D

It may not ever look like that again...there's so much damage. :(

Mine quite a few cracks sadly but not bad for almost 30 year old car. I ditched the aftermarket tape deck since.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Gearbox is coming out to change the clutch so I thought I'd label where each bolt came from so when I put it back to together it all goes back the same way. The bolts are all different lengths so I don't want to break anything (learned that the hard way on a Triumph Spitfire thermostat housing). Left over Halloween candy box was perfect. The bolts are arrange just like they are on the bellhousing.

5172698941_a24d68d75e_m.jpg

5173302700_25fd45ba85_m.jpg

5172699833_a3eca8b7bf_m.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Ok so finally got back from vacation and got a few minutes in the garage. I haven't been able to split the transmission yet. The manual suggested hitting with a hammer ... but I was thinking what about turning by hand? Sure enough I can turn it over by hand just find in all gears? This would seem to indicate its not stuck in two gears? Interestingly if I turn the driveshaft in neutral the input shaft still turns - is that right???? thanks again.

Yeah just took a look at the spare Lada Niva 4spd I have and it doesn't turn in neutral which makes sense. Still can't get the Datsun transmission apart. Can't seem to get it into reverse either.

Time to find a new gearbox I guess. :(

Maybe do a engine swap. ;)

Ok so finally got back from vacation and got a few minutes in the garage. I haven't been able to split the transmission yet. The manual suggested hitting with a hammer ... but I was thinking what about turning by hand? Sure enough I can turn it over by hand just find in all gears? This would seem to indicate its not stuck in two gears? Interestingly if I turn the driveshaft in neutral the input shaft still turns - is that right???? thanks again.

The oil is 90 weight, must be cold in Alta. so it gets thicker. The oil is thick enough to drag the other gears around. Hold the input and it should stop.

Right now I can start it. If the clutch pedal is pressed then its ok. When I release it sounds like a rock grinder. Doesn't seem to drive at all.

Can you place in neutral clutch peddle up, and start?

When running can you put in gear and drive it?

Have you drained the oil out? What did it look like? Any chunks in it? The drain bung has a magnet on it... was there anything stuck to it??

• 1 month later...

This is as far I as I can split the transmission - its still stuck in gear and the shifter with not come off. Some ball bearings plus metal blob fell out of my transmission - fair to say a bearing failed. Unfortunately I can't get the case open enough to inspect further or repair so I think its done.

5317951874_c7bcfd7ca1.jpg

5317953340_ba9b56c961.jpg

• 7 months later...
  • 2 months later...