Headlights

Cruzn620

Alright, 79 620, no head lights, hi or lo beam. All of my other lights on the truck work except for the blinkers, the flasher won't flash. I took the alternator off yesterday and had it tested..twice...and it came up good both times. Fuses all appear to be good, though I have not checked them real close. Am I missing something? At one time the head lights worked, and now that I have it running, licensed and insured, they just won't give in! I would highly doubt that all 4 went bad at the same time. I will admit that the wiring on this truck has been hacked SEVERAL times, so it could be something there, but from looking at the wiring diagrams, it apears that the side markers pull juice from the same wires that the head lights get their energy from, and my side markers work. Heck, even my dash lights work (i was very surprised at this) Also, my charge light on my dash is lighting up (which was the reason i took the alternator for a check) My theory was that the voltage regulator in the alternator was shot, so the flasher was not getting enough juice to heat up, and the head lights were not getting enough to turn on, while the other lights, which may (or may not) pull less juice did have enough voltage to illuminate. I know we have some geniuses here, so I was just wondering where my starting point should be. Thanks guys!

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Pull all fuses and throw away and replace them. Looking is not to be trusted, they can still be bad and 'look' just fine. Make sure the fuse is making good solid contact in it's holder. Pull the headlight switch in and out twenty or thirty times to polish the contacts inside. Do the same with the high beam switch on the column.

Just wanted to thank you guys. I bought all of the fuses to replace the mighty 6 in the fuse block. BAM!! headlights working, hi and lo, blinkers blinking and the charging light went off. I put the new license plate on the truck and I'm going to get some test runs in around town and make sure she is fit for the road. Thanks again for all of your help.