Testing a tranny

doughboi916

sup folks.... so i pulled a KaDE 5sp trans off a blown motor.. is there any way i can test it to see if its ok while its pulled?? im in the process of a Ka swap in my 510.. i bought the motor off of a buddy w/o trans.. found a guy with a blown motor and said the 5sp was good? i took his word for it?? the shaft spins smooth and makes no weird noise?? Im new to this???

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Dump whats left of the oil out and look at it. If a deep golden but relatively clear see through color then it's at least been changed. Look for chunks if metal in it. Pieces of red RTV sealant would indicate that it's been taken apart before..... for what that's worth. Take a good look at the drain plug, it has a magnet on it that collects ferrous metal. If it has big chunks and flakes I'd be worried. I removed one once that had ball bearings stuck to it. A black paste would be normal...

This has some flakes nut otherwise normal wear.

620CAFS5W71B85turbo200sx005Large.jpg

This has a piece of bearing retainer... not good.

FS5W71Bteardown001Large.jpg

Sure enough... the counter bearing was damaged...

FS5W71Bteardown003Large.jpg

You won't be able to put enough force on the transmission when turning by hand to reliably say the bearings are good or quiet. The C is good for 300hp and equal torque. The fact that it turns is good though. :lol:

I've thought of hacking an adapter from an old clutch disc and a V-belt pulley to drive a tranny with an electric motor. No idea how large a motor it would take. And if the tranny made noises, would they be abnormal noises, or normal? I suppose listening to a know good one would be a starting point. Are there are some noises that need the load of the moving car/truck to be really loud? Worn synchro rings wouldn't show up either, unless a way was figured out to disengage the motor and shift gears. I think it is one of those ideas that might work, but there would be quite a learning curve. Not worth it for the few unknown transmissions most of us ever deal with. But I'd love to have someone with more time/energy than I do to give it a try.

Len