Speedometer pinion help for KA tranny

I'm trying to hook my stock 510 speedometer up to my KA transmission. I read that any speed sensor/pinion from a 280zx will swap right in but I found out last night this isn't correct. The opening in the KA transmission is 3.5" and the sensor I got from an '82 280zx is 3.75".

Anyone know which years/models will fit for sure in the KA transmission? I think I have everything else I need but this piece.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm trying to hook my stock 510 speedometer up to my KA transmission. I read that any speed sensor/pinion from a 280zx will swap right in but I found out last night this isn't correct. The opening in the KA transmission is 3.5" and the sensor I got from an '82 280zx is 3.75".

Anyone know which years/models will fit for sure in the KA transmission? I think I have everything else I need but this piece.

I know that the KA tranny will bolt up to a KA and Naps Z motor, and vise versa. Maybe one off a naps trans? I dont know for sure, someone else should chime in.

Sorry I should have said in the first place that the 3.75" is the circumference distance. I don't have a way to measure across accurately. The metal one from the 280zx hits the opening on those "wings" if you will. I'm aware I'm missing the piece that holds it on but it still won't fit into the hole.

See video evidence:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7UAn3HYMx_w

That's very strange, lol, because it looks just like the one I have sitting right here, and I just went out and put it into an '89 and a '96 KA trans and it fit just fine in both. One thing though, you have to have it perfectly strait for it to go in (very little tolerance), if you are even slightly angled, it will feel like it's to big and won't go in.

I don't know, Datzenmike is the trans God.

When I first tried to put it in I messed with it for 10 minutes thinking it would only go in one certain way or something. I spunt it and twisted it every way but it won't go past those 'wings'. I finally grabbed a cloth tape and measured around it and found the 1/4" difference. I know it looks just like the ones that work but for some reason it won't fit.

Either of you have one that will fit for sale by any chance? I've got my gear oil drained and I'm trying to get this done before I fill it up again. Thanks for the help!

I went and pulled a few different ones and the only one that fits in my KA was from a '84 300ZX with a small greenish gear. I had read that with my wheels I needed to use a red gear to get a correct speed reading. I switched the gears out with the one from the 280ZX but once the red gear was in place the sensor wouldn't slide in to the hole all the way. It has the notch where that metal piece holds it in place but if I line that up with the hole in the tranny it won't slide in. If I spin it 180 it slides all the way in but I have no way to secure it in there.

Any thoughts/input would be great.