Race engine options

Opus

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have 3 engines that I'm preparing right now. One fia head on l20 and another 219 head on z20. The rules for Vintage G70 are quite liberal but must show precidence before 1989. Running my 510 in G70 with ex DTM e30 m3's and gt-1 camaros at Mont Tremblant is an exercise in futility. I know that Turbo Tom ran the turbo l20 at the Mitty but I believe that was an anomaly.

I like to say that it's a class they send you to when they don't know what to do with you. Kind of like purgatory. It's a post 1970- 1989 race class. You have to present your car as it would have run in any SVRA FIA Or SCCA class. I've seen an A-series powered Mini nearly run over by 80's era tube framed Trans Am car. (Don't have to tell me it's stupid, I already know that) I don't want to be the moving chicaine so I was hoping to find someone who has raced a extremely developed 510. was even considering the ca18det since it was an eighties engine offered in a Bluebird.(seemed fitting)

we do that here as well, except not for Vintage classes. that being said, we only have 1 Vintage race a year and even then we have nothing over 2.5 litres even show up, so its a head to head race for all the old guys. if we had a GT1 car show up, we'd just give him the trophy and let him lap with us...

you could run the CA18 and call it a TC 16...

http://www.osgiken.co.jp/tc16/tc16-top.html

dave pretty much knows what it takes to get an L series 510 to work. the other guy i would talk to, if i still felt the need for a 2nd opinion would be Jeff Winter in Colorado. he's raced 510's since they were new and was the last guy i know of to win a national championship with a 510. Great guy, highly reccomended.

Not worried about making an L series work. I have the original Zekes built FIA l20B on my work bench right now, including a file of 30 years of build notes. My local think tank includes all the original people who raced them in the 70s and 80s. (Too many to list). An L- series at full development is still nothing compared to some of the machinery that runs today. That's the unfortunate reality. (Still love them though) .

I like that Idea. I've had people not like my dash because it's not period correct. If you check out my build page(In the projects section) you'd see that period correct cages suck and are the formula for disaster. Thanks to all for the feedback.