521 clutch questions

pliggity

So, my clutch is getting weaker and weaker day by day! I am going to try and bleed it this weekend again, but I'm almost starting to worry that I'm going to be stuck on a hill in Seattle traffic. And I'm trying to figure out what to buy now. I have a '72 521, L16 block/L18 head with a Weber 32/36, and otherwise stock.

I want to hop-up the motor bit by bit, but really won't have a HP monster. I'd be happy around 110-120HP @ the wheels eventually.

I searched on here, but really only found something about a roadster clutch, and someone suggested not a good idea to put into a daily driver, which I have. I've used Daiken/Exedy in the past and always liked their clutch's for Hondas, so I guess I'm leaning that way as of now.

Any suggestions? Thoughts/ideas from some Datsun old schoolers are much and always appreciated!

Thanks, Pat

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I want to hop-up the motor bit by bit, but really won't have a HP monster. I'd be happy around 110-120HP @ the wheels eventually.

your dreaming? It cost ALOT of MONEY to get that out of a standard L motor esp to the wheels

I searched on here, but really only found something about a roadster clutch, and someone suggested not a good idea to put into a daily driver, which I have. I've used Daiken/Exedy in the past and always liked their clutch's for Hondas, so I guess I'm leaning that way as of now.

Roadster pressure plate is a good way to go and use the 521 T/O bearing and clutch disc. Its a 200mm setup. But is a Roadster clutch needed. I say NO but if you want to do hard tire chirping then YES.

oreder thru nissanparts.cc 30210-20111 enter in the blank zone and it should come up.

Most times a new slave or master might be needed since the Roadster is 650KG and the stock is 350KG. the old seals might not be able to hold the pressure. Might might not!!!

Bleed the clutch if possible( I put a clear tube in a bottle and pump till it come out clear then close the 10 or 11mm bleed screw at the slave cylinder.

but really you can adjust the nut at the slave cylinder by the trans.

the threaded rod will go thru the T/O lever. get a 12mm and loosen the jam nut. then you can put a screw driver on the rod since it should have a screw driver end on there and that will hold the rod while you move the Ball on the so the T/O arm moves fwd toward the engine. do this untill its slightly loose. maybe a 1/8 or 1/16 of inch.

I have used a roadster chutch pressure plate for years. You get a strong left leg, I waterski on my left leg too.

If a roadster pressure plate causes something to go in the slave, or master cylinder, it was ready to go any way.

Adjust the throwout lever so it has a little free play, like it was described above, and enjoy.

I was meaning more as a general, I'd like those HP #'s, not that I am making my L16 that strong... I had about that much HP in a '85 Corolla GTS, which weighed close to my 521, and I loved driving it.

I'm still going to try and bleed the clutch tomorrow morning and I'll adjust everything underneath and see if I can't tighten anything up. The master cylinder was supposedly replaced before I bought the truck, but I need a closer look at it to verify.. so maybe I can get away with just a slave cylinder?

I'm not too sure that the engine in the truck will hold up to hard tire chirping shifts for very long, but I guess there's only 1 way to find out!! I'm going to seriously need to pay the top end some attention here shortly, probably a valve adjust will do the trick... and I want to fine-tune my Weber a little more... other than that, it runs good enough for a daily, so I try to not thrash on it. So, thinking out loud more than anything here, I guess, I'll get a roadster clutch when mine dies and see how things go. Thank you.

On a totally different side note - know anybody that can or wants to work on dual Solex carbs on a Roadster2000 for my boss?? I don't know much about the car other than the above, but I do know it was restored in the mid-90's in San Diego area and it's super clean! I'll try to get some snap-shots of it soon, but my boss doesn't drive it much in this crap NW weather.