Help - loose steering on freeway

Dat620 77'

Hey Guy yeah i got a 77 Datsun 620 Longbed pickup and i was wondering what i can do to make it freeway ready. Because everytime i take it on the free way im all over the place and im starting to get tired of it cause i have to take back roads everywhere. Alot of them i dont even know and i want to be able to get their faster than i can by using the freeway, what can i do to make my truck freeway ready.Thanks Cody

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

sounds like your front end parts are pretty shot (just like my truck) if you want to save time, take the truck to an alignment shop. if it is a shop that you trust, they will tell you what parts are shot before they start replacing stuff. my guess is that you have some bad tie-rods and idler arm. that is just where i would start though. king pin truck, so you might have some worn parts there.

You can probably check yourself if its really that bad. Parts should be really loose.

Jack the front end off the ground. Move one wheel a little or take the wheel off and move the hub. You can look to see if its the kingpins, the outter tie rod ends, or get under the truck and check the idler arm. For me, it was 90% the fault of the idler arm. I found a new one on eBay for really cheap ($10!) vs the $90 for a new one from a store. That fixed the steering slop a lot. I did my own alignment and got lucky enough to have it work out pefect. The alignment I did on my Z was ok... but the car pulled a little on ruts still.

if it were me, this is the course of action i would take on the truck (i am a do it your selfer...but i know my limits on what i can do)

1. put the truck up on stands and do an underneath check like bleach described. try to find your play there. post your findings and/or pictures on this forum.

2. take the truck to an alignment shop, if we missed something, they won't. this will cost money though.

3. get on here and yell at all of us if we were wrong

4. apologize to us for yelling when you need something else

5. read all of this and realize that numbers 3 and 4 are a total joke!

i hope you find your problem without paying any diagnostic fees!!!