Autocross with "The Green Beast" - Updated 1/30/11

NCRmtrsprts510

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I was there. I have the tan 510.

You should get a front roll bar. Its nearly a requirement for a 510 in autocross. The rear is really optional and you can get away with stiffer springs back there.

You got lucky it was kinda dry when you ran.

Fun Run 394 Daniel Hernandez 510 55.20 56.81 3 56.30 1 49.91 49.91 <- fastest time I think Dan was in your car on that run.

VSP 102 Avery Nisbet 510 58.41 55.77 55.38 55.30 55.30 <- my fastest I ran in the last run group so the rain was coming down. I'm usually the slowest guy out there with a 510 in VSP.

You should run in VSP with the rest of us 510's. Or at the very leaste whatever run group we are running in.

You did very good for no font sway bar. You really need to ge that. If any of the other 510's would have run in the dry like you did they would have beaten you badly with relatively stock 1600's

Oh and the coil packs are a known issue with the CA's and the SR's. They heat soak. There are a couple of mods that swap over to GM or ford style coil packs and wires.

I think some guy used the GM DIS coils (2000 saturn SL2) with a set of diodes todo wasted spark. If you want to use the GM ignitor the 96+ saturn's have a pretty simple base that has a built in igniter.

Another used the GM LS1 truck COP coils One per cylinder. This one should be easy and give you lots of spark. But I think the coils are expensive

http://forums.hybridz.org/index.php/topic/59961-ignition-wolf3d/

They look cool too. They should work if you remove the ignitor pack and just wire straight to the coils.

-Dime

My fastest time was by myself after Dan gave me some pointers (this was my second autocross) Yea I wanted to run with you guys but I had a tight schedule. Yea I need a front sway, and I'm not sure on how stiff my rear springs are but there are some eibachs. I also need a LSD because I was definitely one wheeling it out there and my tires are not so great either, I plan on getting slicks soon when I can afford them. Lol my coil packs are fine now that I have insulated them, I haven't had a problem since and it's running smooth (besides the vac leak somewhere at idle) lol

I would not worry to much about the LSD yet. It will probably be dry at the next UFO event. Your car should hook up much better than it has when its wet. Work on getting that front sway bar. I have cut roadster springs in the back on my car or so I have been told by really old Datsun guys. There are some nascar style springs that fit but you have to get really high spring rates because of the placement.

I would stay away from the rear coil over kits. The shock mount back there was not designed to take the load of a spring. Also when you adjust the rear ride height you are changing the Toe. This can make the car very squirrelly. Its where the lift throttle over steer in the 510 comes from.

I will see if I can look up where people are buying their rear springs from.

For the front coil overs have at it. There are people getting S13 or S14 megan race coil overs and cutting them up. They have independent ride height adjustment. Really nice and for nearly the same price as the ground controls.

-Dime

yea also that was my first time in the rain with that car. idk how much longer my stock rear end will last. my front coils are good, but where can i find a front sway bar to work with the front sump pan? i havent really looked for one.

and what time do you guys get there for the VSP class?

• 2 years later...

They say if you don't knock over a cone or two... Your not realy pushing it.

I think I took out one.

It would have been many many more cones but darn if my old 510 isnt set up like a friggin' go cart.

Thanks again Sean.