Motor mounts

Hey I think it would feel cool when i accelerate to have some stiff motor mounts! Im gonna build some like this but with hockey pucks with a grade 8 nut/bolt through it. instead of those 200 dollar nismo ones. I found this pic in the "pic of your dime forums" looking for info on this. My question is, does this actually yield and performance increase or does it just feel cool?

1424h85.jpg

and hopefully this doesnt happen haha

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The stiffer the rubber the more vibration will be transmitted to the body. Using a bolt through anything will transmit vibration as well. M mounts are formed with bolts on either side and rubber in between to insulate and not conduct vibrations. L series are two steel plates with rubber in between.

This is a competition thing like headers, poly bushings, roll bars, big cams and carbs..... they don't translate very well for street use. Racers finish the race and drive home in something more comfortable and fun to drive. They don't want the window rattling and the CD skipping.

Rather than messing with the mounts check out torque straps. They will act like a shock absorber and prevent the engine from twisting over when accelerating. DO NOT buy into all the BS hype about them. A small motorcycle shock with coil over would do the same and cost less.

The stiffer the rubber the more vibration will be transmitted to the body. Using a bolt through anything will transmit vibration as well. M mounts are formed with bolts on either side and rubber in between to insulate and not conduct vibrations. L series are two steel plates with rubber in between.

This is a competition thing like headers, poly bushings, roll bars, big cams and carbs..... they don't translate very well for street use. Racers finish the race and drive home in something more comfortable and fun to drive. They don't want the window rattling and the CD skipping.

Rather than messing with the mounts check out torque straps. They will act like a shock absorber and prevent the engine from twisting over when accelerating. DO NOT buy into all the BS hype about them. A small motorcycle shock with coil over would do the same and cost less.

Oh okay. hmm I just thought it would be a cheap fun little project to do, Im just gonna skip it for now i guess. thank you

It doesnt feel "cool" at all.

I borrowed a car for a day with a solid-mounted engine, No bushings at all. It was horrible to drive for street use. Every screw and nut was rattling the car was going to vibrate itself to death.

Polyurethane bushings in the mounts would help, but it would still rattle your teeth out. The only benefit is that the engine will not torque to one side as much when you dump the clutch. This can mean more positive engagement of your clutch for better launches.

If it is just a street car, with no plans to enter professional drag racing, then I would stick with factory mounts.

Uh, word of advice on this one. When I was younger and dumber, I decided my daily driver could use firmer shifts, etc. provided from racing type solid motor mounts. The improvement in firmer shifts was hardly noticeable. What was noticeable was the huge amount of vibration shaking the car and making it feel as though it was going to rattle apart...and some fasteners on the car actually did rattle apart.

Yeah, it looks trick, it sounds like a good idea, but trust me, it is better to do what I did after that experience. Use a custom shock/dampener set up. Build a plate that bolts to the motor in a structural place on the block, and make a mount on the plate a gas or oil filled shock absorber can mount to. Attach the shock absorber to another plate fastened to the frame or a strut tower, ect. The dampener will help a little with less motor movement, and unlike a solid steel mount will not transfer as much vibration to the body of the vehicle.

This is a competition thing like headers, poly bushings, roll bars, big cams and carbs..... they don't translate very well for street use.

I agree, that's why my Naps is running a ported out stock exhaust manifold, nissan and raybestos bushings, no roll bars, a streetable cam, and a 32/36 instead of a small holly 4 barrel :D

could anyone judge the stiffness of stock 620 l20b motor mounts? mine are kind of soft and the engine moves atleast 2 inches when idling with the lopey cam, it smooths out at higher rpms but i would hate to see it when i mash on it, im thinking of ordering rock auto ones, i dont care too much for anchor mounts but hey anything is better than these jello mounts.