Stuck!! Can I still run without one timing cover bolt....

budsaipan

So I bought a Z22 for my lz project. I put the head on and everything and I just realized one of the timing bolt is stripped. I guess the previous owner decided to use easy out or some f***kn hard metal into it to take it out and snapped it too. I tried to drill it out with a carbide and not even a scratch. I also tried carbide dremel bit and just barley shaved some off. Then tried torching it with the propane torch I had lying around then used a punch to hammer it since it's suppose to be brittle. No luck. I messed up my punches.

Now I was wondering if I can just run it without the one bolt and maybe use permatex or something to seal it up. This bolt is on the left side, second to the top of the l20b timing cover(looking at engine from front). It's the one right below the first bolt on the left top side of the timing cover.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The ultimate stuck fastener fix is the oxy torch. A stuck bolt when heated to a dull red and then cooled will be hardly more than finger tight. In this case I would use a 00 tip and heat the broken extracter bit to a bright red. This should un-harden it enough to drill or grind out. The bolt itself by this time would have shrunk enough to spin out easily with an extracter.