lowerrrrrrrr....

datsunfish

After our ratsun meet at the sonic burger we went back to datdougs. I needed an oilchange bad and the front suspension was uneven so I tore into it. Ended up getting a wild hare and dropped the front coilovers all the way then chopped out 1.5 coil in the rear. Set it right for sure. Never low enough. Not a fan of cutting springs but that rear had to go down. It rides a little bouncier but its not bad at all. Hooray for coil overs,maybe invest in some rear COs in the future or helper bags or air shocks.

zadime.jpg

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No pics of the process but it does require alot of disassembly. Basically,jack it up HIGH...take off the wheels,remove axle shafts from rear hub,chocked,out of gear,park brake disengaged,un bolt top shock bolt and let em hang. air powered cut off wheel tool. Even with all tension off there will be some spring tension since the angle makes the springs lean against the bump stops. Try to find the top beginning of the coil wind,go down 360 degr. then 180 and start cutting. Get close to done then smack it with a hammer. Pop out the lower half...toss the 1.5 extra,force the coil back in and put the lower end back in the keeper section then reverse. Haha sorry,just the basics. I learned as I went,the second side went much faster. Took a little over an hour.

If you get the race springs I have (500lb) and cut them off about a coil and a half, they end up being just short enough to be easy to remove. You can then just add rubber spacers at the top to change ride height. I'd like to make a little metal disc that would clamp the two halves together so I could change ride height without dropping the suspension, but to get the needed slack, you still have to unbolt the halfshafts. Oh well.