Please Help

Brian D

So today I got my fuel pump so i could finally get my 520 running. So i fired it up and got it running some what smooth shut it off and under the front of the engine I had a puddle of what looks like oil. It is coming from area of where the water pump is. I am newer to engines but not too cars. Can somebody please help me.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

sorry bottom of water pump top of timing chain cover

Water Pumps have a design so that if the seals go bad ,,, the anti-freeze will weap out of a hole drilled ( usually ) located on the underside of the water pump itself ( if it leaks at all replace it , if it is the water pump gasket to the timing cover you can re-seal it ) ,,, another thing to do is pull up and down/side to side on the water pump to feel for "bearing play/slop" in the water pump bearing ,,, if there is any or much ---> replace water pump ... ( usually they are pretty tight from new/remanufactured ! )

Tighten all Radiator hoses , water connections , any thing else that has a hose on it ,,, wipe off or carefully spray/power wash suspected area ( for ease of inspection only/clean work area , tape off all electrical , and anything else that could be ruined by water like the distributor )

Check your front main seal ( behind on the crank pulley in the timing cover ,,, see how wet the area is and how much MIGHT/COULD be leaking out of it ! )

What torque did you apply to your fuel pump bolts/nuts ?

What is the consistency of the puddle you found ??? Water , Oil , or Gas ? :D ( ^^^ I'm aware you said "what looks like oil" , but need to know what it is or isn't before we can help you )

It si oil. there seems to be no anti freeze, by that I mean it has no green in it and seems to be the same thickness as oil

More likely than not , your "Front Timing Cover Seal" , but still could partially be the front of the oil pan/timing cover gasket * at the rate you talked about it is typically the Timing cover seal" ! either way you will be able to tell very quickly on your day off / time off once you remove the crank pulley bolt with impact gun or breaker bar ,,,, then use a 3/4 jaw puller to pull off Crank Pulley ( evenly usually a tight fit ) ,,, after this you will be able to tell what was leaking for sure , and what needs to be replaced ! )

h2theizzo gave some good advice ^^^ ,,, your oil pump could be leaking or just the bolts loose causing it to leak !

NOTE: Whatever you do ,,, make sure all sealing surfaces are very clean , and gaskets are un-contaminated ( as best you can ) when installing ! Put a little bit of engine oil on "Front Timing Cover Seal" before re-installing or it will burn up the seal ! ( some use grease , but I have heard grease retains heat , and will wear out the engine seal pre-maturely versus using a little of engine oil )

More likely than not , your "Front Timing Cover Seal" , but still could partially be the front of the oil pan/timing cover gasket * at the rate you talked about it is typically the Timing cover seal" ! either way you will be able to tell very quickly on your day off / time off once you remove the crank pulley bolt with impact gun or breaker bar ,,,, then use a 3/4 jaw puller to pull off Crank Pulley ( evenly usually a tight fit ) ,,, after this you will be able to tell what was leaking for sure , and what needs to be replaced ! )

Oh yeah, could be a front main seal, forgot about that one :D