521 charging

dbuzz77

the ign light came on today, the battery voltage is going lower, so i assume we're not charging. i thought it was a loose ground on the alt, but it wasn't. I get battery voltage (going lower) on the w/b and y wires at the regulator so i assume the alt is not charging. if the alt was working , the voltage at the regulator would be 13.5 or 14v, am i correct? i need to rebuild the alt? thanks

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

the ign light came on today, the battery voltage is going lower, so i assume we're not charging. i thought it was a loose ground on the alt, but it wasn't. I get battery voltage (going lower) on the w/b and y wires at the regulator so i assume the alt is not charging. if the alt was working , the voltage at the regulator would be 13.5 or 14v, am i correct? i need to rebuild the alt? thanks

The external regulator tells the alternator to charge and how much. Don't assume the alt is bad.

Is the belt tight?

Battery cables tight

Ground wire from battery to head tight and clean?

* Regulator won't work if it is not grounded to the body or loose.

i am assuming the alt is bad because the volts at the regulator are down. if the alt was working, wouldn't i see 14v at the reg? (belts and posts tight)

The alternator could be bad, yes. But the regulator detects low voltage and tell the alt to increase the charge. If it's not working the alt is just along for the ride.

When you get the new one installed, test the output. At 1200 RPM is should be between 13.5 to 15.0 volts. No higher or it will burn something out in time. No lower or it won't charge the battery properly.

The V out is controlled by the regulator.

If you hotwire the F terminal of the alternator (briefly) it should put out more than 15V.