My Cars 70 510 Wagon, 75 280z Turbo

Alright here is what we got my name is Aaron and I have a 75 datsun 280z that I have had since I was 16 (24 now) I put in a l28et and am running Megasquirt and tomorrow I close on a very beautiful '70 Datsun 510 wagon with a ka24e and 5 speed from a 1997 nissan pick up.

Here are my plans the 510 is in great shape and I plan on driving her while making little improvements such as making the stance a little less MONSTER TRUCK and just more of a lower ride. I am not going to slam this car its just needs to be a bit lower than stock. This is my daily driver. I have a build thread over @ HybridZ for the Z I will try and copy some pictures over to here to but I will provide a link she is a good looking Z but she needs some work and I plan on working on the driveability of the car in the next few weeks she runs strong but way to rich! I want that to be my track fun car and my 510 to be my cruisin car. I have a wonderful wife and am happy to say that I now pretty much have my dream garage, all thats left is a roadster :D.

oops left out the link to the Z

http://forums.hybridz.org/index.php/topic/58133-aaron-75280z-1975-280zt/

**Edited for forgetfulness :D

Edited by Aaron Datsun
  • Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

HAHA, the dangling balls thats awesome, I think my first upgrade is a tow hitch so I can pull my 280z with her :P. I have 3 280zx parts cars I am thinking maybe she might get lowered in a while, but for right now I am just concentrating on putting her interior back together as it is mostly off of the car.

• 2 weeks later...

Well I picked up all the extra parts for the car and there were a lot of extras, I will have some stuff to post in the classifieds, and also I will post some pics of stuff that I have no idea what it is.

So this week I have installed the door panels, put in the passengers side seat, and seat belt. I would like to get a stereo in her, but I don't want to hack up perfectly good door panels, and my commute is less than a mile, so I don't listen to radio very much any way.

Next on the list is to sand/paint the front dash valence and install that and the dash cap. Find suitable replacements for rear seat belts. And a new sportier steering wheel for my Z so I can move my Z steering wheel to the 510 it is the fake wood grain one. Also chrome/aluminum polish for all the chrome parts that need to be re-installed. I also need a front grill Datsun Emblem as mine is CRAP.And I hate where my shifter sits I am gonna try and bend it towards the back farther because I am 6' 00" and I put my seat back far, and teh shifter is to close to the dash! Well enough text PICTURES!!

5016012630_1f15a06b4f.jpg

5016012972_c402fb2824.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

well it is my B-day today, and the past couple days I have been working the kinks out of the car she is right where I want her, there are still things to do but she is a great daily driver. So what I have done over the past few days, added the fresh air vents so now they actually work, added a coolant temperature gauge to my cluster so I can now see what my temperatures are. Finished cutting and attaching the headliner. Took the dash off and glued the dash cap to it (Cap came with the car, along with a ton of other things.). Painted hood valence. Hooked back up the defroster hoses to the vents using old hoses, need to track down new ones, or at least ones in better shape. Put the rear hinge cover on as well as replaced the rear light housing with a nice one. SO my heater blows on my feet or on my windshield because I fixed the selector a while back. I think I need a larger clutch master cylinder with the ka24e as it seems rather difficult to get into gear some days. I adjusted the throw and it is a lot better, but still not smooth enough for my liking. but enough with the words have some pictures.

Yes I fixed the coolant leak that was in this photo.

5069979968_95c283a1dc.jpg

5069979784_a813ed3d4a.jpg

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

Well I finished putting up the headliner in the hatch, and put the hinge cover on in the back. So I was merging onto I-225 (a very busy road at 5:00pm) at around 5pm. When the throttle cable that runs through my firewall decided that it should disconnect and wedge and make my car idle at 5500rpm. Now I unfortunately did not do my engine swap so I am still learning a lot of this car. So I got her home just to figure that out, it was a very easy fix, thank goodness. Both the Z and the wagon are in a spot where I really don't want to do much to either it is sort of sad not really having anything to need to do to the cars. On the plus side of all this I have been driving the Z and she is very fun.

• 1 month later...

the Wagon: Well did a little work around the shifter today put a boot on it and screwed it into the floor makes the car look better than it did, now I need a better shifter, the Previous Owner (Who did a great job with the car) bent the shifter and it makes it hard to shift, sits to far away from the driver, and I hate the shift knob, so I have been keeping my eyes open for a truck to come to the junkyard so I can get a shifter. I am now just waiting on Pare Composites to get a rear wagon panel from carbon fiber and I will have the interior complete (except for radio and speaker which I don't plan on getting for a while). Still have to get seat belts for the back seat.

the Z: Moved the ground for the electric fan so that it shares a spot with MegaSquirt's ground. Been doing research, now just need to set aside funds to purchase the poly urethane bushing set for the car.

Both: Always on the search for a better steering wheel for the Z so I can move the Z's wheel to the Wagon

Merry Christmas