More power!

justin 620

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Honestly this reminds me alot of myself when I was younger. The best thing you can do is listen to the people you ask for advice. Performance should always be your last concern if there are more important issues at hand such as tuning and safety. Make everything work first before you modify it. If you dont know what you are doing then you DO need help from someone who does or at least read and understand what your working on. You can learn as you go like I did but I also spent alot of time on the side of the road and many,many times push starting because I didnt fix things like the fuel gauge,radiator,hoses,belts,worn motors/heads...etc

if the stock carb is shot replace it with a weber

stock exhaust is way too small but dont go over 2 1/4"

msd coil is as good as a stock electronic coil

Honestly this reminds me alot of myself when I was younger. The best thing you can do is listen to the people you ask for advice. Performance should always be your last concern if there are more important issues at hand such as tuning and safety. Make everything work first before you modify it. If you dont know what you are doing then you DO need help from someone who does or at least read and understand what your working on. You can learn as you go like I did but I also spent alot of time on the side of the road and many,many times push starting because I didnt fix things like the fuel gauge,radiator,hoses,belts,worn motors/heads...etc

if the stock carb is shot replace it with a weber

stock exhaust is way too small but dont go over 2 1/4"

msd coil is as good as a stock electronic coil

i really appreciate all the advice you guys give, and i do listen to it. the engine isn't running bad at all, which is why i never mentioned it running bad. the problem is the carb, and i just ordered the weber today. once i get that i'll fine tune the engine, then get the exhaust set up and such. i've already fixed most of the major problem minus one oil leak (getting the new seal this week). i've already went through the tribulations of finding and fixing the mechanical and electric problems, so now it's time to go for performance.

and thanks again for the advice : )

• 2 years later...

I'm running the 38/38.  I've certainly never been able to get it dead on Purring.  The 32/36 is smooth and easy.  But... with the 38/38 "outlaw" you will get the performance you seek.  You will just need to choose great idle, or mean screamer when jetting.  If anyone has advise on the best jetting, I'll take it.  I feel like I've tried every combination.  I also dropped in a performance cam same time, so my impressions of the weber are likely due in part to that change.  Sounds mean, and feeds that L well though.  Enjoy!

Will changing out the gear ratio in the pumpkin if he already has a 5 speed make the first gear just about useless or will it give it a longer run?  As it is already pretty much useless.  Will this new gear ratio be like having a 4 speed but you'll have the 5 instead?