Rear Extension Bushing

boxboy

My trucks PO had neglected the u-joints, and after changing them I think they were the original 42 year old joints. Anyway needless to say it shook the bejeezus out of the truck and beat up the rear main on the transmission. (I changed that as well) during that work I noticed that the slip yoke wasn't nice and smooth, but a bit dished out. I assumed that was from rubbing on the worn out seal's metal inner structure. I stopped by Six States today and they said that it is most likely the rear extension bushing. I said "oh, that sounds bad." He acted as if it was no big deal. Just remove the rear extension, pound out the bushing and pound in a new one, provided I can find one. I have questions.

The FSM doesn't seem to discuss this procedure. Anyone done it? Anyone know if there are things that need alignment with the main tranny assy. that I would potentially screw up if I tried this on my own?

Does anyone know what bushing to look for? Six States guy said back in that era they were pretty universal even between domestic and import brands.

I will need a new slip yoke too. Since the likelihood of finding a 520 in a yard somewhere are slim, what other vehicle could i snag one off of? (Keep in mind this is from a one piece drive shaft that slips directly into the rear extension housing, not a two piece that bolts to the tranny.

Any info appreciated.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll also add the question of "does it matter" to the original list of ??'s Will anything get destroyed further if I just drive it?

As to why, I am 40 miles from Six States and really cheep on top of that. If I knew they could pull the bushing w/o removing the tail section and tap in a new on in a matter of 1/2 hours labor perhaps it would be worth it. But I doubt I would get out of it that cheep.

I'll also add the question of "does it matter" to the original list of ??'s Will anything get destroyed further if I just drive it?

As to why, I am 40 miles from Six States and really cheep on top of that. If I knew they could pull the bushing w/o removing the tail section and tap in a new on in a matter of 1/2 hours labor perhaps it would be worth it. But I doubt I would get out of it that cheep.

yeah , I don't blame ya ,,, cheaper than replacing your trans though/re-building or whatever which way a person sees the best fit/direction to go ,,, if it were me and the trans is GOOD/Great condition ,,,, I would have it done if it was reasonable price ,,, if not then well , shop around other shops ???

The rear extension bushing is just forward of the rear seal and is under $15 from the dealer. The number is 32132 14601 and it was also used in the 521 till Mar of '70. It was used in the 510 till around the same time. There's no way to pull it out as the output spline is in the way. Tailstock would have to come off.

Sorry, I corrected the text. Yes, used up until '70-ish.

Yes, anyone can do it. The F4W63 needs to be drained, reverse light switch and speedo pinion removed, shift rod disconnected from striking rod, (at base of shifter) unbolt and slide back and off. Case sealer will do.

Okay, so if I drive this truck maybe 30 miles a week only on the weekends for now, can it wait until I am ready to pull the engine and do my regasketing and paint the engine compartment? Maybe a year away. Or will I tear things up and ruin something else?