Carb cleaner did the trick!

mirageshepard

I was having troubles with my 86 hardbody NAP z2.4I, it started (couple months ago) buckin when pickin up speed...running rough when driving a steady speed...& suckin gas up like a paper towel on a rain drop. I looked @ everything that might be causing a problem & never found anything out of place (other then emissions garbage) & fixed what vacuums I thought "could" be the prob, so nothing worked till this afternoon. After letting it cool for a couple hours I got agrivated & took off the air cleaner & soaked the TBI down with carb cleaner really well especially on the inside...let that dry for a few minutes & ........runs pretty good but not perfect yet! I'm still planning on getting rid of emissions stuff & doing a carb swap till I can get the cash for a KA. I thought that maybe someone else out there with the same prob might try this (AT YOUR OWN RISK OF COURSE). Hope this helps someone!

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

After cooling down I went back outside to move it out the driveway.....starts rough, gota keep a little pressure on accelerator to keep it running & even then it starts running extremely rough then it shuts off on its own. After 2 or 3 times trying to start it, it backfired through the throttle body a little & even when I had air cleaner top off, it spit a nice fire poof.....I don't understand. My fuel light stays on now even though I know I got @least 1/4 tank left. It was running decent after I cleaned everything but as usual as soon as it starts running right it cools down & it gets stupid. @ this point I'm thinking timing is off.....don't know what to think really. To the mods on this forum, I didn't want to disrespect any of you by erasing my last post with out you seeing what my intentions were of the post. As usual I think I've fixed something & this engine proves me wrong every single time.........

Change to

(1) use "NGK" Plugs ( correct Gap ) ,,,,,,,, Auto-Lites work like crap on mine

(2) Check/Change Fuel Filter(s)

(3) Check Ignition Timing

(4) Check Compression on all cylinders ( record this too )

(5) ---> Check Valve Timing <---

(6) Intake Manifold Leak ? ( spray lightly with carb clean , any difference in idle can indicate so , have fire supressor in hand )

(7) Carb gasket leak ? Carb Leaking ?

(8) Clean Cap/Rotor Contact points

(9) EGR system cleaned ? ( IDK never owned your model )

(10) ----> Check Fuel Pump Operation <----

(11) Check Fuel Pressure

(12) Fuel Feed/Return Lines clean and clear ??? ( at all points )

(13) Burnt Valve ???

(14) Is it running all the time on all 4 cylinders ???

What else can you tell us about this truck ?

What have you done so far EXACTLY ? :D

"These are things I need to know Vaco" <--- Name that movie :lol:

Since I've had the 86 nissan hardbody NAP z2.4I with auto tranny, I've done:

1 I changed oil & oil filter & put in some sort of Engine Restore (multiple people here recom'd this) to help out the old engine & it slowed an oil leak.

2 I changed fuel filter (ran a little better after this, then it went back to troubles)

3 I replaced temp sensor connector (to computer)

4 I changed battery terminals (water temp gauge started working after this)

5 hooked up a few vacuum lines that were either off or just barely hanging on (ran little better then went back to troubles)

6 replaced front left corner light (amber)

7 cleaned MAF sensor with carb cleaner (ran little better then went back to troubles)

8 cleaned all inside of throttle body with carb cleaner (even took a quick trip around the block & it ran great, then parked it...then back to...you get the point)

Plugs were changed right before I got the truck. I think thats all I've done.

7 cleaned MAF sensor with carb cleaner (ran little better then went back to troubles)

MAF is going to be very sensitive to petro type cleaners ,,, there is a special MAF cleaner at your local parts store ( NAPA , and Knecht's in my area carry's it ) even a spec of dirt freaks this sensor out

Sorry for your troubles ,,, I am not sure if Carb Clean will eat or affect it ??? might melt the plastic after that ...