TAIL and DASH lights dont work!!!

ricky

i have a 1972 Datsun 510 and i can not get my tail lights to work. all my fuse are good. and i used a test light to check to see if there is power going to and coming from fuse block and there is. but when i check the wires before the tail lights theres no power to them. so some where in between the fuse box and the trunk the power is stopping. is there a relay or anything that can go bad that would affect tail lights? please help email is richard.a.cottrell@gmail.com or you can call or text 916 690 5587. or just write back on forums thanks

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't trust a fuse, replace them.

If still not working check for power on the Green/White strip wire on the headlight switch. This goes directly to the fuse and should have power at all times. Pull the switch out for running or parking lights and check the Green/Blue stripe wire. It should now have power. this wire goes to the dash lights, front and rear marker lights and the head light relay.

• Like 1

It's not a 510, but on my 72 240, and I hear it's pretty common on early Z's, one wire gets too hot and melts away from the fuse block. Can't tell from the top, but if you flip it over you can tell. When this happened I lost my parking lights and dash lights, but everything else worked.

Good luck

Scott

ok so i got my glove dash and gauges out then center of my dash and the glove box out. i have determined that the fuse box and light switch is good. i have also found a few plugs under the dash that are not hooked up. i was able to get my tail lights working how ever not correctly. right now my brake lights that are duel filament are acting as brake lights only not as brake lights and turn signals. and my running lights that are signal filament are trying to be the turn signals and running lights . so right now if i turn my blinkers on the work but if i turn my running lights on they stop blinking and remain solid on. i plugged in every plug that has a mate. but there are a few plugs that dont have a mate. i am in desperate need of a wiring diagram for a 1972 datsun 510 2 door

ok after i got the wiring diagram i went on a hunt for wires. underneath the carpet right before the front seats i found a nice crispy wire. i fixed that but that was just meltdown from a short some were else. turns out the bundle of wires in the trunk theres a short some where in there. so i used the existing wire up to were the wires start branching out to bulbs cut there and ran new wire to the tail lights now every thing works as it should thank for the help