need transimssion tail plz 5 speed

I swear man. I want to burn my truck down. My bro pulled it out. I was going to go under and hold it but I believed he was going to get it. Well We guessed wrong. Trans is dead and my project is on hold.... Any one can help with this part? PLZ....

IMG_7724.jpg

IMG_7723.jpg

IMG_7722.jpg

IMG_7721.jpg

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry... no. 5th gear is in the front of the tailstock. The 4 speed doesn't have room for it.

4 spd.

transF4W71Blongtail1.jpg

5 spds are more 'roomier' behind the middle adapter plate

IMG_0308.jpg

Here's the 5 spd gears. The last two gears, one above the other, but specially the bottom one, on the far right are the 5th gear set. Imagine them gone and that's what the 4 spd would look like.

F5W71B.jpg

Bend or carefully tap the flat spot out. If it stays together goop some gasket sealant on the inside of the crack area ans install the seal. If the pieces break off install the new seal, making sure it is seated all the way down and goop some gasket sealant on the exposed seal part. This will work. I've seen worse. The seal will work but only if the dented in part is fixed or removed.

IMG_7721.jpg

I will take it apart and see if a welder can weld it and smooth it out. and make it round again. I am in need of a broken 5 speed. The reason I dont want to goop it with sealant is that I dont want to take out the engine again once I find the replacement part... I would wait for the right part. But it will suck that I will miss the SWPD meet. Fuck... I have been having a hard time trying to mate the transmission to the engine. so we decided to take it out and mount it out side. Not a good idea...

damn.....

what about z series 5 speeds? just the front is different right?

The shifter is or is likely different and the speedo drive pinion is definitely different... your pinion won't work unless you cut a second notch 180 around it. Like this:

pre80pinionint0post80ransmods001.jpg

Possibly the new tailstock may have the same number of pinion teeth.

Ohh its cracked big time. I placed it back together so a welder can weld it up and smooth it out.

If the pieces come out, leave them out de-grease thoroughly and press the new seal in. Use gasket sealer to cover the outer edge of exposed seal. Probably don't need it but won't hurt.

If the pieces come out, leave them out de-grease thoroughly and press the new seal in. Use gasket sealer to cover the outer edge of exposed seal. Probably don't need it but won't hurt.

If I have no other choose man, I guess I will have to. Thanks for your advice and knowledge.

Pretty sure this will work just fine. Get's you mobile and you can take your time looking for a cheap tailstock or replacement for the z tranny.

I will try the dealer and see if they carry it. I doubt it.

The circle is out of wack. and the cracks eats the seal up when installing... I will send it in to the welder and see what he can do..

I think I have one if you're still looking. I would need to take a look at it to make sure its not messed up. I don't know that it works with all the 5 speeds though. When I had my Z 5 speed rebuilt, they said that they switched the 5 gear set to a newer version. When I got it back, they had switched the tail section also. So I don't know if the newer and later 5 speeds had a different tail or something was wrong with it so they changed it. Maybe someone can jump in here and advise.

Scott

• 3 months later...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.