Very Rare!

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It is the first generation Nissan Silvia produced in 1965-1966. It was based on a Roadster Chassis and Roadster Drivetrain. Only 544 units were made.

Here is a picture of my old CSP311. This photo was taken in ~1967 in Hawaii.

57.jpg

Woah, that is a new one for me and now I really, really, really want one! Did you keep track with what happened with yours?

Woah, that is a new one for me and now I really, really, really want one! Did you keep track with what happened with yours?

My old CSP311 had a very unique history. It was the only know CSP311 sold new in the United States. The original owner was Elroy Goto who was a factory sponsored race car driver by Nissan. He also was the parts manager for Nissan of Hawaii.

elroycard1.jpg

elroy-1.jpg

I purchased the car site unseen in 2000, and had the car shipped from Hawaii to Oakland California,

This is the same Silvia that had a cameo in the movie, Karate Kid 2 (Which was filmed in Hawaii).

728.jpg

I passed the car onto Classic Datsun Motorsports in Vista, CA. They continued the restoration of the car and brought the car out to several Datsun gatherings. It has since been sold, but I'm not sure who currently owns the vehicle.

My old CSP311 had a very unique history. It was the only know CSP311 sold new in the United States. The original owner was Elroy Goto who was a factory sponsored race car driver by Nissan. He also was the parts manager for Nissan of Hawaii.

elroycard1.jpg

elroy-1.jpg

I purchased the car site unseen in 2000, and had the car shipped from Hawaii to Oakland California,

This is the same Silvia that had a cameo in the movie, Karate Kid 2 (Which was filmed in Hawaii).

728.jpg

I passed the car onto Classic Datsun Motorsports in Vista, CA. They continued the restoration of the car and brought the car out to several Datsun gatherings. It has since been sold, but I'm not sure who currently owns the vehicle.

Yea I remember Les (Classic datsun) driving one of them to a car show a few years back. Cool ride fo sure.

elroycard1.jpg

elroy-1.jpg

728.jpg

Amazing, thanks for sharing that story!

Dang hitman. Is there anything you don't know about rare datsuns?

Tons. I'm still learning. :)

I'll own a CSP311 ('65 Silvia) someday... They were mostly hand-built, and the one datsun65 used to own is quite "popular" amongst CSP fans. It's notable in that at SOME point in its life, it was modified (due to unavailability of the proper parts) and painted white... :( It has changed hands a few times since.

A good friend (my old business partner) owns a pristine one in central Florida. I believe there are 4, maybe 5, in the US (his, another green one, a dark blue one that was actually a former police car, and the white one).

If anyone is interested a 1960 Fairlady showed up on ebay, one of 288 left hand drive produced, and the first year of production. Needs a loving home, and restored. :cool:

That car is a cross breed. If in fact it is a real fairlady SPL212, then the grill is different and the mirrors are not original. The front bumper is different then some of the other SPL212's that you can see, if you google search it. Here's one I found that looks almost the same. I'm still not understanding why it's all red though? Because a majority of the others are two-tone.

Here's one that looks identical that says in french that it's an SPL211 in a RED - http://www.leblogaut...tsun-spl212.jpg

Here's the closest I can find to that particular SPL212. - http://blog.goo.ne.j...apop/d/20070325

Here's another SPL212 with a different front bumper, mirrors and grill - http://www.asahi-net...ssic/Qrp205.htm

That car is a cross breed.

Not necessarily.

If in fact it is a real fairlady SPL212, then the grill is different and the mirrors are not original. The front bumper is different then some of the other SPL212's that you can see, if you google search it.

You're looking at Japan-spec cars. Mirrors WOULD be different. Grilles varied, even in the middle of a model year. Hell, I have observed FOUR different side trims on 1964-65 Datsun 320 pickups.

Here's one I found that looks almost the same. I'm still not understanding why it's all red though? Because a majority of the others are two-tone.

Again, not necessarily.

I know of two that were (and still are) completely red (still wearing their original paint) and one that's fully burgundy (original paint).

Two tone would be a real popular modification, so you can't automatically assume that just because there are several pictures of two-tone cars, that this one should have been. Even in that last link you posted, the authors cast doubt on whether the car was originally two-tone due to the lack of stainless steel side trim.

I'm still not understanding why it's all red though? Because a majority of the others are two-tone.

I believe the owner told me it had been repainted at one point.

Couple of points....

The lineage was:

S211 (Fiberglass)

SPL212 (Left Hand Drive) 48HP

SPL213 (Left Hand Drive) 60HP

There was never a SPL211 (Fiberglass, left hand drive)

The car sold on ebay is a true SPL212. It has the correct outer grill, but is missing its vertical center bar and horizontal bars. It has the correct original front bumper, but the mirror, grill emblem and hub caps are not SPL212.

The very first SPL212 sold in the USA (Car #198) was painted pink by Nissan.

pinkSPL212.JPG?et=kT7XQNUSUz11N5SuEfQ%2CrQ&nmid=188101349

Other known color offerings included:

Solid Red

599.jpg

Solid White

58lainternatioanl.jpg

Red with White Sides

800px-SPL212.jpg

White with Red Sides

fairlady212cs.jpg

White with Blue Sides

1961_Datsun_Fairlady_1200_Roadster_For_Sale_Postcard_1.jpg

I don't believe burgundy was an original factory color (Though Nissan owns a Burgundy Vehicle). The original SPL212 and SPL213 cars , all came from the factory with side trim (regardless of the paint scheme).

For more photos, visit http://spl212.multiply.com

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.