nuts, lug nuts

I have been looking for lug nuts to put stock Z alloy 6 spokes on my dime. Dealer wants $9 each (more than I paid for the rims).

The wrecking yards I have been to so far have just told me to go to LesSchwab, do you guys know of a yard that would have early an 80's ZX with the wheels on or a yard that would let me dig through their stash of lug nuts in the South Seattle area?

Moral of the story, get the lug nuts with the rims!

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What up Micah!

Hey Feltons has a bin full of those lugs.

The only problem is they are in Snohomish

They will ship out but I am not sure how much they would want for them.

Call them and ask for Greg and tell them you are a friend of Rays and see what they will do for you. They give me a huge discount since I have spent over 10k there over the years.

Anything is worth a shot.

Feltons 360-563-9315

those six spoke wheels require special lug nuts. I think I have what you need.

I think I even have a set of brand new locking lug nuts for those wheels that I never used since I changed to aftermarket 18's. I'll check and let you know what I find.

Yeah I had the same prolblem. I have the rims from the 78 Z and the gorilla nuts you get from schucks wont fit (the shoulder is to skinny) Les Schwaub said no, Discount tire said no. I had to go thru Nissan and they wanted $8 per nut! I finally go them for cost but still $6 a lug nut!:eek:

I didnt realize they were that special. I do know that if you have a simple wheel that requires a simple lug nut then the best bet for ya is the local hardware store if you want new ones. I just purchased a set for my 521. I converted over to a longer wheel stud with a new thread and pitch. For a 12mm x 1.50 lug nut I got them for 65 cents a piece, which is around 16 bucks for 24 of them. I personally like the splined lug nuts though. I have one socket for multiple vehicles. The same one fits my 510 as does my 62 willys truck. Nice when you loose one!

After asking some other folks as well, you really dont want to use aftermarket lug nuts for these rims, the small differences in shank OD and shank depth have caused the rims to be damaged and eventually unsafe.

"You must use the original Nissan lug nuts. The shank O.D. of these

is 19mm vs 17mm for the commonly available aftermarket replacement lug nuts.

The chart for the aftermarket lug nuts may tell you that they fit but they

do not! If you use the 17mm shank in the nissan wheels, then it does not fit

tightly in the hole, wobbles around with 1mm clearance on each side. Since

the wheels and lug nuts are not the tapered type, you must have the correct

size shank in order to accurately locate the wheel in the hub center."

The closest I have seen is 18.6mm studs available online aftermarket, but who knows if those are actually ok or not.

After going to the dealer, most of the dat/nis of the late 70's and 80's reference the same part number for the lug nuts on stock alloy rims. Per the parts guy I talked to, the differences between models are likely the length of the head not differences on the shank.

Kevin, I will send you an e-mail.

Micah