Whats a fresh L worth?

N0RCALDIME

Just inherited up a freshly rebuilt L16 block and have a few questions.

First off, what's it worth? I'm going to pick it up tomorrow from the engine shop free and dont know what they are worth in that condition.

How hard would it be to rebuild my current L18 head?? Should I just rebuild the head and put it on the block and have a fresh L?

Or sell both possibly for a carbed KA?

Just weighing my options here.

Thanks

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

THAT is the problem... who is going to gauruntee the work?

whats included?

long block? or totally complete?

$$ for a quality stock rebuild would probably run over $500, labor not incl

I will take pics of what i picked up tomorrow but they did the rings and bearings etc. to the block. thats all i got.

So the block is free... A rebuilt l16 block for free... And you want to trade for a questionable KA? Common man... There is no questioning here. Rebuild a head for that l16 and put that fucker together and run that free motor.

If you want to get more complicated then be my guest! Just take this blessing from the Datsun gods and DONT MAKE THEM ANGRY!

A rebuilt head is worth like 300... Try to win this head and good luck...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Datsun-L18-L20B-Cylinder-Head-620-510-521-610-710-720-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQitemZ330464346479QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories#ht_500wt_976

L motors are cake. Childs play for a machine shop I would assume. If theres no head bolted down so you can see the bore and it turns freely then I wouldnt second guess it. But,its only worth what someone who really wants it will pay. Its a good score but probably wouldnt fetch much unless someone is looking for a nice motor asap or for racing requirements..

I scored a fully rebuilt L16 a few years ago and I slapped it in my 521. Its a great runner but will never compare to the l20 before it. It does however turn some high rpms and can handle a serious thrashing...

so heres what i picked up and the guy and the machine shop said he would rebuild the head as well so this will hopefully be an easy swap with a fresh L. Let me know how you think it looks?

2qdtvdx.jpg

zjba0x.jpg

29q0eaa.jpg

21necg3.jpg

2rwp98y.jpg

best carbs for a fresh L?

State your opinion and persuade me. :D