Transmission for J15

hi everybody,

i recently broke my transmission on my truck....i have a j15 engine with a ??? transmission... i was wondering if anyone had a rebuilt or can lead me to a contact with a rebuilt transmission here on the west coast,,, my forum has more pics (los angeles nl320) but ill throw a few to show you what broke:

CIMG0158.jpg

CIMG0166.jpg

bad:

CIMG0153.jpg

CIMG0154.jpg

any help would be great... i have called around and so far i have been told to get a L series motor and tranny...cant afford that.

thanks

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Last two pictures need to be further away and in focus. Looks like trouble with the cover plate and clutch arm but hard to tell. Might be fixable. What was it doing? for symptoms?

Looks like an F4W63 4 speed. What exactly (year) was it out of and is it possible it was swapped in and not original?

Last two pictures need to be further away and in focus. Looks like trouble with the cover plate and clutch arm but hard to tell. Might be fixable. What was it doing? for symptoms?

Looks like an F4W63 4 speed. What exactly (year) was it out of and is it possible it was swapped in and not original?

i will try to take better pictures...i only had my cell phone on hand.

as far as what it was doing..... when i would drive i'd hear a clickity clank and have to push in the clutch a little to make the sound stop... when it started to get worse i went underneath while the engine was on and in neutral and heard the clutch arm/arm from the slave cylinder to the tranny was just clitity clanking (sound of two spoons sorta) and thought it was hitting the torsion bar but it wasnt.... then driving on the freeway i went to change gears but nothing... clutch hit to the floor... AAA comes to tow and when they drop off we saw tranny fluid leaking. found out it was leaking from the engine side of the tranny.

as far as swapped, Mklotz70, myself, and a few others are almost certain if not for sure this was a swapped tranny.... i have a 1964 320 that is suppose to have a column shifter but the previous owners somewhere along cut into the floor board and added this transmission. as far as where the transmission came from i do not know...this truck came from northern cali from what i seen on the pink slip

Yeah I asked because I don't think they were used until Sept '65. The front cover plate looks wrong, damaged. Probably the oil leak cause.

CIMG0154.jpg

Those splines shouldn't be covered like that. The cylindrical part looks like it has broken off and there is a seal in the cover plate behind it. Could be as simple are replacing the cover plate.

Here's one from a different tranny:

620CAFS5W71B85turbo200sx008Large.jpg

When in position should look something like this with the splines showing:

620CAFS5W71B85turbo200sx007Large.jpg

The seal is in behind. It's the large round thing on the right. I imagine yours will be similar.

620CAFS5W71B85turbo200sx009Large.jpg

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.