Looking at a project car but the engine puts out blue smoke

TASK

Hey guys,

I've been looking at Z project cars for about a year now, and it's hard to find a good one here in Upstate NY. Finally though, I think I've found a keeper. It's a 240z with some performance mods that was raced in SCCA back in the 70's and 80's. (It has a performance cam, stainless steel heads, a 280ZX exhaust, and some other miscellaneous upgrades.) It has about 60k miles if I remember right. I think it's a great car for someone doing their first restoration. However, it has an engine issue - the exhaust turns blue after about 5 to 10 minutes of running. As far as I understand, it's the piston rings. (That's what the extent of my Googling has come up with.) What exactly would the worst case scenario be for the engine? Best case?

I'll have a video of the car running up in a bit.

EDIT: Here's a video of the engine running.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's a 1972 Datsun 240z. And yeah the guy selling it said it has stainless heads. Sorry about the huge images. Oh and he's asking $4000, but we were going to find out how much the engine repairs would cost, and the subtract that from the 4 grand.

NfRwR.jpg

WNhhn.jpg

Ma5kW.jpg

blaO5.jpg

ZnGk2.jpg

WAC0a.jpg

There is nothing "racing" to that z other than the header and probably "built" aluminum head. If no rust I would say no more than a 4K car....

The head can have Stainless steel valves. But you wont know unless you take it apart. I dont know how your state. But cali dont require smog tests. check the compression. If its all even. I would run it as is.. Just do a tune up and add oil when needed.

I would still like to know his asking price. It could really be not worth it...

That dash is reallly clean... Its looks pretty clean overall. Just neglected.

....................................................................................

Ohh... Then maybe.... An engine rebuild would cost around 2k? But who knows what else it might need. rebuild the carbs, etc etc etc... It adds up...

...................................................................................

I am not a z guy. Maybe some one with more Z experience can chime in...

There is nothing "racing" to that z other than the header and probably "built" aluminum head. If no rust I would say no more than a 4K car....

The head can have Stainless steel valves. But you wont know unless you take it apart. I dont know how your state. But cali dont require smog tests. check the compression. If its all even. I would run it as is.. Just do a tune up and add oil when needed.

I would still like to know his asking price. It could really be not worth it...

That dash is reallly clean... Its looks pretty clean overall. Just neglected.

I looked through the emails again. Some of the other misc performance parts include a posi rear end and some kind of upgraded suspension. As for rust, there are some little bits here and there, but the car was rust-proofed by Ziebart a long time ago, so there are no major holes. The dash has a few cracks, but nothing too terrible. He also has a dash in perfect condition that he's willing to hook up for another 600 bucks. (Asking price is 4K for the car including random spare parts + an L28 block + he'd fix all of the damage done to the grill and headlight area.)

I'm mostly concerned about the blue smoke though.

Sorry, but there are so such things as "stainless heads". The L-Series inline engine(4 or 6cyl) only has 1(ONE) head(not heads, plural) so unless he's talking about the HEADER(s), he's blowing blue smoke up your ass.

I didn't write anything down, so it's probably me remembering the details wrong. I'm just concerned about the engine though, and whether or not I'm going to have to spend over a grand to fix it.

I didn't write anything down, so it's probably me remembering the details wrong. I'm just concerned about the engine though, and whether or not I'm going to have to spend over a grand to fix it.

In oregon , many places will do simple checks for like $100 to tell you condition of ENTIRE car , IDK about New-York though ?

Most valuable thing you can do on a Z is check RUST/ROT ( they have it don't let anyone fool you ! ) some is ok , just make sure frame-rails in engine bay are intact/good shape ,,,, the floor pans and floor pan frame rails go out all the time ( rusted ) so you will get one that is repaired or needs to be !

Engine Time ! Learn to do a compression check , and ALWAYS USE ANTI-SEIZE lubricant on ALuminum head spark plug threads

(1) Compression Check ! ( buy a kit , disconnect main wire , roll it over , take a reading simple enough ! if not bring a mechanic along with you and pay him a "consulting fee" ... He might be able to perform a leak-down test as well to confirm but more $$$ will be involved .... Your probably going to have to "freshen" the carbs up , so get a quote for that as well . ( my guess is blow-by )

NOTE: ---> That engine is more than likely toast/tired ,,, air cleaner should be on there even if it's dirty :unsure:

(2) Rust ,,, crawl all over the car ,,, Z's are notorius for it , but they are fun regardless

(3) Brake system ! Have the mechanic check that too

(4) Suspension ---> many times are worn out on MANY Z cars I have looked at on the west-coast ,,, this can get a bit spendy ( bushings , bumpers , strut cartridges , etc. ) if you have a rotted out system ...

(5) The tach sticking is also a Z thing :lol: ,,, don't let that deter you ;)

(6) is it a 4-spd or a 5-spd ?

These are really fun little cars :D ,,, I get compliments in mine all the time :cool: ,,, it's going to be a little bit of work , but well worth it in the end ;)

Sorry, but there are so such things as "stainless heads". The L-Series inline engine(4 or 6cyl) only has 1(ONE) head(not heads, plural) so unless he's talking about the HEADER(s), he's blowing blue smoke up your ass.

Is SOOOOOOO ! ............. ask Radio :D :lol:

In oregon , many places will do simple checks for like $100 to tell you condition of ENTIRE car , IDK about New-York though ?

Most valuable thing you can do on a Z is check RUST/ROT ( they have it don't let anyone fool you ! ) some is ok , just make sure frame-rails in engine bay are intact/good shape ,,,, the floor pans and floor pan frame rails go out all the time ( rusted ) so you will get one that is repaired or needs to be !

Engine Time ! Learn to do a compression check , and ALWAYS USE ANTI-SEIZE lubricant on ALuminum head spark plug threads

(1) Compression Check ! ( buy a kit , disconnect main wire , roll it over , take a reading simple enough ! if not bring a mechanic along with you and pay him a "consulting fee" ... He might be able to perform a leak-down test as well to confirm but more $$ will be involved .... Your probably going to have to "freshen" the carbs up , so get a quote for that as well . ( my guess is blow-by )

NOTE: ---> That engine is more than likely toast/tired ,,, air cleaner should be on there even if it's dirty :unsure:

(2) Rust ,,, crawl all over the car ,,, Z's are notorius for it , but they are fun regardless

(3) Brake system ! Have the mechanic check that too

(4) Suspension ---> many times are worn out on MANY Z cars I have looked at on the west-coast ,,, this can get a bit spendy ( bushings , bumpers , strut cartridges , etc. ) if you have a rotted out system ...

(5) The tach sticking is also a Z thing :lol: ,,, don't let that deter you ;)

(6) is it a 4-spd or a 5-spd ?

These are really fun little cars :D ,,, I get compliments in mine all the time :cool: ,,, it's going to be a little bit of work , but well worth it in the end ;)

Thanks for all of the info man. I'll schedule a meeting with the seller and ask about doing a compression check. Also, it's a 5-speed.

The car is in beautiful shape, but as stated above, just looks neglected. Only problem is that if the car has sat without movement for a long time, even being indoors, you can encounter tons of problems just trying to push it hard once. The car needs some TLC and lots of it. Start with a good assessment of all the problems. Make a list, do some research on replacement parts, and bring it up with the seller. The more problems that are presented, the more likely you are to get a better deal out of it.

Trust me, you will love that car hands down. It's just going to take time and dedication getting it back where it belongs.

As far as the blue smoke, that is related to oil entering the combustion chamber. Valve seals, piston rings, etc. Those are all possibilities. Although a little smoke is never going to be a major problem. My 210 smokes and it's valve seals. After a few sea foam treatments, it hasn't been as bad. But I also haven't put many miles on my car.

Thanks for all of the info man. I'll schedule a meeting with the seller and ask about doing a compression check. Also, it's a 5-speed.

you hit it on the head :lol: ,,, compression check is the best thing you can afford to do ;) ,,, having a 5-spd makes it more valuable , but a 4spd works just fine ( with 3.54 or lower gearing in the rear :lol: )

You will love this car , and sounds like you are pretty serious about it :thumbup:

I think it's a fair asking price especially if some of the spare parts are worth some $$$. My Z smokes but only consumes a quart maybe every 800 miles....which for me if like 2 months haha.

I say check the chassis and floor boards but if it's clear, put a ring on it!

Or buy it... :lol: