L22

Moedatto

Hey Rats!

I have a 78 620 Short bed that I wasnna do a Z22 block with an L Series head to ultimatly make a L22 From what I gather a bulid like this dosent recomend a closed chamber head because the Z22 has a larger bore and stroke (87mm x 92mm) v.s. the L20b's 85 x 86 and also has a 2cc maller dish in the pistons. So what I wanna know is, If you have done this successfully, what works? i also wanna get a cam! any sugestions??

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok right on! I was looking at that thread and had figured that much haha! are you running the stock cam? does it work well?

I just ordered everything for my rebuild, haven't had it together yet. From what I hear they work well, I think it ends up being 9.6:1 or so. I'm going to be running a schneider regrind, but a stock cam should work fine. What are you going to be using for carburation?

For just everyday driveability and mileage a stock L20 cam works great in my 510 wagon with a dogleg and 3:70 gears and knocks down about 30mpg flat. The deeper gears in the 620 should make for some tire frying fun :cool:

Also, when I swapped the head (portmatched u67) and headgasket on mine I didnt run the front portion of the L20 head gasket, I just used Greatstuff gasket maker to make the gasket portion between the head and timing cover. Ive only put a few thousand miles on it since then but it hasnt leaked yet. I just made sure everything was VERY clean and grease free.

Also Nissan has a one piece gasket that will work for an LZ22 but its kind of spendy.

• Like 1

Hey Rats!

I have a 78 620 Short bed that I wasnna do a Z22 block with an L Series head to ultimatly make a L22 From what I gather a bulid like this dosent recomend a closed chamber head because the Z22 has a larger bore and stroke (87mm x 92mm) v.s. the L20b's 85 x 86 and also has a 2cc maller dish in the pistons. So what I wanna know is, If you have done this successfully, what works? i also wanna get a cam! any sugestions??

Not only does the Z22 have 10 % more displacement and 2cc less dish but the L head is about 10cc smaller too!!! This is what bumps the compression the most. A stock Z22 with an open chamber L head is 9.84 compression. With a p-nut head it jumps to 10.48