garage pictures/ideas

Hey all,

I "lost" my current 24'x24' garage in a wind storm here last month.

Being we're out in the country with no real "fire protection",insurance was too high so there's no coverage on that building.It would cost roughly $2500/yr extra above our house insurance.

I have the cash and am planning on replacing that garage with one the same size BUT better.

My plan is for 24'x24' with a 12' ceiling,a 12'x24' lean-to on both sides,and 2-10'x10' o/head doors.

It will be tall enough to work on my Dodge 4x4 Cummins Diesel and also pull our tent trailer in if needed to dry out after camping-the tent trailer is 23'+ opened up.Both the truck & trailer will be parked under the lean-to's when not needing to be in the shop.

The g/f parks her car in the garage.

The 521 is currently residing in the barn awaiting the rest of it's work but for now the new garage HAS to take priority.

I know it's not a huge space but it's what I have to work with.I'm not too concerned as to actual storage as I have a 14'x16' grainery,a 12'x14' pullman cart shed (our property is off an abandoned rail bed w/crossing),and a 30'x40' barn with loft for storage.I'm planning on putting the quad and mower(s) in the grainery-this is also where I hang my deer during hunting season,and the pullman cart shed is being used to store various body parts,etc. from other projects.

I need ideas on how to set this new garage up.

I'd actually like to see some pictures of your home shop or links to web sites.

I've been searching and am coming up with blanks.

Thanks in advance,

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

dont kid yourself, if you have the cash then save a little more and build a garage that will suit your needs and then some. any garage you build you will fill it up and then some, so build one thats big enough you can fill up then clean out if you need more space. my dad built a 30x40 and it was a good size but our next one will be a 40x60 3 bay with a minimum of 12 ft ceilings. dont go hog wild but alteast build a garage you will be happy with in the long run. i cant tell you how many times ive heard people say "yeah when i built this thing i wish i would have added another bay". also when you do the concrete make sure you get a reputable company, there are literally thousands of people out there who pour concrete and havent got a clue how it works or how it hardens or settles later on down the road. do not put fiberglass in it as you will be rolling under your car or truck in it and it is not necessary as long as you have adequate rebar or mesh wire. use chairs to hold the rebar istead of the old pull it up "trick" that so many crews use! also when the crew shows up to pour it make sure they use grade pins and a laser not just a laser otherwise you will have pools of water in your garage floor. make sure the grade pins are no more than 5 ft apart on all sides. i dont know how the moisture is in your area but a real vapor barrier under your floor is a must!!!!!! do not use black plastic from the hardware store!!!!! for best results use a 6mil plastic made just for a vapor barrier and use thier sealing tape to tape the edges, this is the only way to ensure moisture wont come up from underneath.

my shop is 19x24, single door so you can have room to open doors if not in all the way. id convert the barn over. poor nice concrete floors, new doors and some drywall. that being said i dont know the condition of the barn, but it can be rebuild in most cases. the barn is bigger, has a loft already, and would save some cash. besides then you get a bigger shop faster. post some pix of the barn. herews mine, note the offset wide door. im even with that powerpole

005-2.jpg

001-1.jpg

003.jpg

If you need a garage, then build a garage. If you need a shop, then build a shop. Trying to use the same building for both only gets you in trouble. In short order the thing is full of tools and spare parts and a project that can't be moved right now and that understanding G.F. wants to know why she can't park in the garage anymore. Over the years I've worked out of limited space until we got to our home in the country. I now have a 36 x 48 barn and the thing is full of crap with only a limited space to work. I'm starting to think that a large one stall building with just enough room for one car at a time is the way to go. :blink:

The concrete is already thereI'm just replacing the 24'x24' but bumping up the ceiling height.

For those that don't understand,it's going to be like this with the lean-to (carport) on both sides:

http://www.sidach.co...to-WorkShed.jpg

http://www.sydneyshe...au/carport3.jpg

As far as turning the barn into a shop-it would actually cost more.

I'll post some pics once everything gets goin'.

If you need a garage, then build a garage. If you need a shop, then build a shop. Trying to use the same building for both only gets you in trouble. In short order the thing is full of tools and spare parts and a project that can't be moved right now and that understanding G.F. wants to know why she can't park in the garage anymore. Over the years I've worked out of limited space until we got to our home in the country. I now have a 36 x 48 barn and the thing is full of crap with only a limited space to work. I'm starting to think that a large one stall building with just enough room for one car at a time is the way to go. :blink:

X2

I know it's not a huge space but it's what I have to work with.I'm not too concerned as to actual storage as I have a 14'x16' grainery,a 12'x14' pullman cart shed (our property is off an abandoned rail bed w/crossing),and a 30'x40' barn with loft for storage.I'm planning on putting the quad and mower(s) in the grainery-this is also where I hang my deer during hunting season,and the pullman cart shed is being used to store various body parts,etc. from other projects.

I need ideas on how to set this new garage up.

I'd actually like to see some pictures of your home shop or links to web sites.

I have ample storage

1-14'x16'

1-12'x14'

1-30'x40'

I'd like to see work bench's,tool box's,drill press's,pedestal grinder's,etc. and how they're set up in spaces roughly this size-24'x24'

I used to work with a guy that ran the "shop" for a large construction company. When I hooked up with him, he was setting up a new shop for the the new company we had both hired on with. I had all these ideas about where to put the tools, and how the welding area should be, and, blah, blah, blah. He said to keep everything on wheels or movable. Hang the air compressor from the ceiling, because the dirtiest place in any shop is behind the air compressor, (never gets cleaned behind and the damned thing is too big to move!). The only other thing he bolted down was a very large vice on a stand. That was stuck just to one side of the garage door so that when working with long steel, the wild end could hang outside. It was also close to the door and away from most things flamable. Good when welding and grinding and torching. The way he saw it, things will find their place as you work with them. What you think is the best place for the toolbox or the parts washer might be the most unhandy spot when you start working. You might also think the work you will be doing will require things in a certain order, but in reality, the work you spend the most time on puts the important stuff miles away. After about a year of wrench bending and fabricating, we started making things permanant in the shop and eliminated some stuff altogether. Point is, Popular Mechanics and all kinds of books and magazines have shop lay-outs to look over, but real life will tell you how you use the space.

I used to work with a guy that ran the "shop" for a large construction company. When I hooked up with him, he was setting up a new shop for the the new company we had both hired on with. I had all these ideas about where to put the tools, and how the welding area should be, and, blah, blah, blah. He said to keep everything on wheels or movable. Hang the air compressor from the ceiling, because the dirtiest place in any shop is behind the air compressor, (never gets cleaned behind and the damned thing is too big to move!). The only other thing he bolted down was a very large vice on a stand. That was stuck just to one side of the garage door so that when working with long steel, the wild end could hang outside. It was also close to the door and away from most things flamable. Good when welding and grinding and torching. The way he saw it, things will find their place as you work with them. What you think is the best place for the toolbox or the parts washer might be the most unhandy spot when you start working. You might also think the work you will be doing will require things in a certain order, but in reality, the work you spend the most time on puts the important stuff miles away. After about a year of wrench bending and fabricating, we started making things permanant in the shop and eliminated some stuff altogether. Point is, Popular Mechanics and all kinds of books and magazines have shop lay-outs to look over, but real life will tell you how you use the space.

Thank you sir.

I'll plan on moving stuff around for the first year or two.

I like the idea of being able to open the big door to left the "wild end" hang out there-the only issue is when winter comes it can be down to -50C with the wind.

Guess it'll just take time to lay it all out as need be.