I picked this engine up for a Datsun Roadster. I ended up not even getting the car. So I have this spare motor around. It supposedly came out of a running Roadster. It has no carbs, no exhaust, no trans, and a cracked distributor housing.

Datsun used this motor in a couple of models.

Id like to get what I can for it, but its an unconfirmed runner. Feel free to bring a transmission and Ill gladly do a compression test on it or you can take your chances.

Im located in Prunedale off of US 101. 93907

make an offer.

I know you guys like to have a price on things so $1000 or feel free to make what YOU feel is more reasonable. I dont bite. Im willing to trade for a L series engine.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That would work for me. Whatever one would want to offer would probably get it. I dont know what its worth. I just know its not worth anything ridiculous like $1000. I mostly need my space/motorcycle lift that its sitting on back and whatever cash I can get for it.

Thanks for the input. Its appreciated! Hopefully it doesn't get me in trouble with the price police.

Three main bearing engines have SAE threaded fasteners and depending on whether they were intended for the roadster or RL411 sedan / wagon have serial numbers starting with a R1 or R2. Some very early engines have a R zero first number. The 5 main bearing engines are "all" metric fasteners and usually have engine numbers starting with R5 and have the aluminum head drilled and tapped for exhaust air injection fittings. Some early engines have had their heads retrofitted with the "universal" replacement head which has the bosses for the air injection but did not have them drilled or tapped.

Quick check, if the head is drilled and tapped for exhaust air injection you have a 5 main bearing metric engine.

R 110138

Aluminum head drilled tapped and plugged.

Fasteners appear to be metric.

Also I noted that the dip stick has a breather tube on it. I have seen this breather tube on late circa 1970 U20 blocks, but not on the earlier 68 blocks I have ran across. My guess is that its a 69 or 70 R16 from a Roadster. I also noted that the water pump spacer looks different than earlier R engines. Its aluminum as well.

Just making guesses though.

R 110138

Aluminum head drilled tapped and plugged.

Fasteners appear to be metric.

Also I noted that the dip stick has a breather tube on it. I have seen this breather tube on late circa 1970 U20 blocks, but not on the earlier 68 blocks I have ran across. My guess is that its a 69 or 70 R16 from a Roadster. I also noted that the water pump spacer looks different than earlier R engines. Its aluminum as well.

Just making guesses though.

As long as we're guessing, my guess is a late SRL311 Roadster 3 main bearing SAE block with a later roadster [67 and a half or later] metric head retrofitted and the injector holes plugged. As far as the spinner, it could be a roadster small diameter one or a RL411 or WRL411 "bell shaped" spinner. Maybe the latest model roadster had a thermal clutch? Don't know about late model roadsters, anyone is welcome to add their knowledge on this.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.