L16 camshafts

Stitebunny

Hey guys. First post on the site after reading for quite a while. I have 2 510 wagons. A '70 and '72. The '72 has an L20b with mostly stock internals, BRE intake and Dellorto DHLA 40's. 5 speed, lowered, 13x7 Libre's etc. The 70 is all original minus a bad repaint, intake/carb assembly, and electronic ignition. Which brings me to my question:

I have a Cannon intake with a single Weber DCOE 40. I'm having trouble getting it dialed in. I've checked all my basics (spark, compression, intake leaks, fuel pressure, timing, not valve clearance yet. Only about 70k on the original engine). I've experimented with several venturi and jet settings. I am aware that a lot of people have trouble with this intake manifold. But I would like to continue to try at this point as it has run decently in the past. (different carb and obviously jetting) Current carb was thoroughly cleaned and rebuilt, floats set to spec etc. Is there a camshaft I can drop in that will improve driveability and performance with this intake/carb setup? I have seen a few Lynx manifolds for sale and may eventually have to go that route, but for right now I'm wondering if there is a cam that is more widely available and cheaper.

What kind of input do you guys have for me?

Thanks alot.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

datsunfish has a Lynx I believe on here.

I persoanlly never seen alot of people get good results with the sigle sidedraft and the Cannon manifold. better just to put the weber DGV series on ther ein my opinion.

as for Cams I thik the Isky 475/275 is OK but best with 2 sidedrafts

Webcamshafts.com has a 488/252 cam I think would be good for a L20 with dual carbs.

But cam for cheap is misleading as when one gets a new cam, new rockers /lashpads maybe be springs are a must what the book says and unless you have your Rockers resurfaced new ones are EXPENSIVE.

for the stock L16 just get a weber and call it good This is only my opinion here. others mayb differ.

http://www.guba.com/watch/3000024223/Hainz-Datsun-L-Series-Engine-01-Timing-Tare-down-and-Rebuild

Yeah,I got a lynx. It came with a weber bolted to it. Was told I need insulators between the carb and mani to avoid issues but have had none without it so far. I have never heard good things about the cannon and it makes sense that it might suck considering the design. I always wanted one though,just to try it out and maybe prove em wrong.

If your trying to use this on a bone stock 1600 you are waaaay off the reality board. I run my lynx setup on a tired re ringed l20b with a fresh rebuilt head with oversized intake valves and a mild regrind cam at 450 lift. As a comparison to your situation,before the lynx and sidedraft weber I ran a downdraft 38/38 dges on this block with a ported mani and mostly stock old port matched w53 head. It sucked ass on that head but when I used it on the same block with the rebuilt,ported,larger cam OS valve head it was wonderful. Your motor is probably overcarbed for what it can do. An L16 can pump out some good power at high rpms(kinda)but you gotta give it breathing room...

I run an L20b stock cam in my L16 on my truck and it runs waay smoother than the old stock cam but its still an L16. Unless your trying to be stock specific in some kind of racing class take my,and everyone elses advice and run it with a downdraft 32/36.

If you want to cam it up tell us what head you have on it.. Remember higher top end means less low end but in the case of the L16 theres not too much to lose but dont expect miracles. All in all with enough mods you could make that cannon setup run smooth but better off to wait until you motor is ready for it.