would an A seris oil pump drive spindle fit in an early L16?

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No. The A-series dist isn't driven by the oil pump spindle, it's geared to the camshaft (A-series are pushrod engines). You cannot use the A-series dist on an L-series engine.

you can you just gotta cut a slot in the end of the rotor shaft for the fuel pump tang or swap the rotor shafts... not sure if the rotor shaft swap is possible.

For the FUEL PUMP tang? Every Datsun I know uses a cam-driven pump, they aren't rotary. I have several L-series engines and an A-series engine on stands, and I have A-series and L-series dists. They are totally different on how and where they're driven from.

Now, if you're talking about changing out the distributor spindle, that's another story. But you would need the entire distributor to swap from, so you'd end up with the correct distributor anyway. The shafts aren't interchangeable between points and EI dists. If you're talking about changing out the A-series worm gear for an L-series collar, and machining the notch into the shaft, that's doable, but you would have to make sure the notch is cut PERFECTLY. And I can't guarantee that's work, you might just end up with a fishing weight.

:no:

Now, if you're talking about changing out the distributor spindle, that's another story. But you would need the entire distributor to swap from, so you'd end up with the correct distributor anyway. The shafts aren't interchangeable between points and EI dists. If you're talking about changing out the A-series worm gear for an L-series collar, and machining the notch into the shaft, that's doable, but you would have to make sure the notch is cut PERFECTLY. And I can't guarantee that's work, you might just end up with a fishing weight.

Negative, I have done the A-dizzy in a L-engine swap and it is easy and works! The Notch can actually be cut in any position cause you can put the #1 plug wire anywhere on the dizzy! And there is quite a bit of adjustability on the dizzy and the flat mount plate! The only thing is that the flat mounting plate has to be flipped so the A-dizzy vac advance wont hit the fan, due to the dizzy being a mirror immage of the L-series. But the dizzy will work 180 with the #1 plug in the factory stock possition! When I did the one for Nas, it was easy and worked out great! ;)

Doug is right too. The A-series distributor has nothing to do with oil pump, unlike some other engines where distributor drives the oil pump.

a drive spindle from an A series oil pump in a L16 so i can use the A seris matchbox dizzy

But why would you want to use an A-series matchbox distributor? These are not rare for the L-series. Just go to pull-a-part and get one for $12.50. Doesn't the early L-series just have a different pedestal? The distributor itself doesn't need to be modified, is what I understand. But i'm no L expert, just an A expert.