throwout bearings

Braden

so i got a clutch for my new engine, its the only clutch sachs lists for the 620 truck and t is the 225mm, my question is how tall is the correct throwout bearing for the pickups, the one i took out of the truck is maybe 1/4 inch taller than the new one, the clutch has been replaced before and im not sure that the right throwout bearing was used so i guess the old one could be the wrong one, i did notice the clutch engaged almost instantly when i had the old engine in so maybe the new on i have is the correct one, if somebody could measure one and let me know what its supposed to be i can compare it with mine. not that it matters but i am going to be using a 5 speed from either a late 620 or z car

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

so i got a clutch for my new engine, its the only clutch sachs lists for the 620 truck and t is the 225mm, my question is how tall is the correct throwout bearing for the pickups, the one i took out of the truck is maybe 1/4 inch taller than the new one, the clutch has been replaced before and im not sure that the right throwout bearing was used so i guess the old one could be the wrong one, i did notice the clutch engaged almost instantly when i had the old engine in so maybe the new on i have is the correct one, if somebody could measure one and let me know what its supposed to be i can compare it with mine. not that it matters but i am going to be using a 5 speed from either a late 620 or z car

Can't help except to say the tranny used doesn't matter. The bearing and the housing that holds it is matched to the pressure plate used.

The larger the pressure plate the taller it is (front to back) or the higher the diaphragm fingers from the flywheel surface, so a short length housing is used to hold the bearing. A 225mm or 240mm housing would be shorter than the 200mm one. If the housing is too small (short) the clutch would engage and disengage closer to the floor, or may not disengage properly at all when the peddle is depressed. A housing that is too long would engage and disengage farther from the floor near the top of peddle travel and may not totally engage the clutch when fully released.

If a housing is supplied with the new clutch then use it. This is the correct one and is matched to the pressure plate size.

thats what i was thinking mike, i noticed that the pressure plate fingers were infact different but i dont have the old clutch to compare to anymore. i will run the one that came with the kit, i didnt feel like trying to swap on the new one for fear of destroying it, i just removed the old bearing and i bugered it up a bit. thank you for your help, now any of you that would like to discuss different types of throwout bearings or post pictures or measurements feel free to do so!