need some info and help on buying a 280zx

tylersloan

hi guys .

i need some info im looking for a 79 280 zx my mom had one when i was a kid and she passed away when i was 18 and i want to do a tribute car for her.

what i want to know is what to look for in a 280 zx im a welder and fabricator but i dont want to put good money to bad. i can handle a project i dont want to make a project out of a parts car .

also how hard is it to find a 79 280zx with T tops ? moms had em just wondering

can any one help me id the color it was a dark red on dark red ???? dont know the name of the paint fond one just like it with out the T tops just dont know how to post picks.

also what are the prices i should be expecting to see out their on the hunt ?

thank you for your help

tyler .

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Its always best to hunt for one with the least amount of rust/damage.

a cheap rusty car is going to cost more in the long run than a strait car that costs a bit more in the beginning

I cant find the actual numbers right now but IIRC not many early ZX's came with T-tops

the two dark reds available for 79 where 603 - Maroon Mist Metallic 603.png and 609 - Mahogany Metallic 609.png

lol 2+2 look like whales :(

as far as price goes it really varies on condition and location.

should post up the car you end up finding, thats cool your doing a tribute build for your mom.

she had good taste in cars ;)

yeah she was a drafter for brown and root in the 70's in Houston TX she owned a 67 corvette sting ray 67 Shelby gt 500 and this zx .

she gave it to my older brother and he rolled it in to a lake he took a corner to fast and it rolled 18 times and landed up side down the rescue squad that got the car out found about 7 bottles of whiskey empty in the car . i was only 7 or 8 when this happened ....... if mom would have gave me the car it would have been mint still .

i have about 1,500 to 2 grand to spend im hoping that will get me a clean driver .

figured i would get this car first then get my 510 thats why im here in the first place lol posted about the zx here because ive seen a few clean ones here what i would do for that guy's baby blue one on here very nice zx

turbo z ? looks very nice and well taken care of reason i ask if it is a turbo model is because of the NADA duct in the hood.

its N/A, the 83's all came with the turbo scoop.

my 73 240 had the L28et in it tho, fun motor :lol:

theres some pics in my gallery

I think Skib is right, no '79 ZX's came with a T-bar roof from the factory. They were an option in 1980 on the GL models...

Also, all 82-83's came with NACA duct hoods, but the Turbo models have a different duct that channels cool air to the turbo housing at speed. At rest they vent the hot air out...

You're lucky you found one in Illinois. I used to live there, went to college at U of I in Cham-bana and just came back from a visit. Didn't see one single Datsun the whole time <_<

Look up windycityz if you're interested in a "local" club.

Here is my ZX :P :

MSA_2008_1_33.jpg