L20 bottom end rebuild

Nas

The stock L18 in my 74 620 is about to throw a rod, so I purchased a L20 to replace it with.

Funds are very limited right now, so I plan on rebuilding the L20 bottom end and mating that to all my other pieces that are still functioning.

I will build the a87 head with a nice cam and carb set-up, and replace the 4spd with a 5spd later when I have more cash.

Im just trying to get back on the road.

Where do I begin?

Where is a good place to order gaskets and all the things I will need to rebuild the block?

I will be working with a friend who has a shop, tools and more know-how than me so my work will be double checked, but I'd like to do most of the work on this project.

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

if the L20 is running as is, then get it fitted in the vehicle and running properly first. L20 takes a bit of 'finesse' to put in place of an L18, things don't bolt up exactly as they should in place of the L18 because of the height difference, thats why i suggest fitting it first, so when the rebuilt motor is ready for install, it will be seamless and potential problems will be limited.

that being said, if you want to rebuild the L20 before its installed, its really best to find a local machine shop that 'speaks your language'. if you get along good with a local shop, then they can supply you with the bearings and stuff that you need at a cost thats going to be within a couple dollars of getting them from a faceless online outfit that has no interest in how your project turns out. in my experience, its best to get the parts that your machinist trusts because not only has he the experience with them, but also an interest in your project. as an example, an oil pan gasket is $7.23 and a front cover set is $18.77, full list, over the counter - why would you mail order when you can support your local shop and get it the same day?

as far as the work required, how familiar are you with precision measuring? this and attention to detail are going to be critical to doing it right, yourself.

is your 620 a DD?

excellent advice, guys.

thank you.

the l20 i got is not running.

as far as ordering vs over the counter, i have no idea about either - thats why i asked where to go.

napa? autozone?

with all the complaints i read about those places, i figured someone would have a parts supplier to suggest i go to.

precision measuring? im a graphic designer with ocd...im crazy anal about lining things up properly and cleanliness.

im the son of an engineer, if that makes sense.

but as far as building engines goes, im a noob.

i wont be doing this all myself.

my bud who has built countless engines will be showing me the way.

my truck is not a daily, but id like it to be able to be.

i mostly ride my bike around town.

right after i posted this, i ended up finding a complete l20 out of a 79 620, so im going to go ith freshening that up instead.