78 280z

I have a vehicle posted on Craigslist for trade and someone has offered me a 78 Z in trade for it...

I've done some searching around and an hour or so of random interewebs sleuthing trying to figure out what to watch for and how much these things typically go for. So far I've figured out that I should probably pay attention to the hatch and quarter panels for rust issues. Seems the rockers get nasty too. Is there anything else I should look out for? The guy says he has the intake off of it and it's been sitting for 2 years. Kinda sends up flags so I'll grill him on the mechanicals and take a good hard look at that. Prolly do a compression check too. Wish I had a way to check the heater issue 'cause I've read in several places that some kinda valve is pretty hard to get and prone to failure.

I've got $500 into the vehicle I will trade so I'm pretty sure I'd come out OK if/when I get it on the road and decide I don't like it enough to keep it. The cheapest driver I've found was a grand...Seems crappy ones average a bit more then that.

So...What should I look out for? Are they hard to get tune up and brake parts for? Seems like they should be OK to get stuff for as they aren't that old...

P.S. I'd certainly prefer a 240 or 260 but the 280 looks i-ite with no bumpers and an airdam up front...

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

(1) Floor Pans/ Frame Rails ( Engine Compartment under Battery Tray , Look under car )

(2) Rocker Panels ( Rot out on 3/4 that I have heard

(3) Windshield leaks ( can happen not common , look at the firewall and see if it has been getting wet by dripping down the firewall ruining the insulation on both sides , water will sit in floor pan frame rails and rot them out quickly. )

(4) Fusebox ( pop it open , test each circuit if you can or just see if anything is melted )

(5) Water Pumps ( weak point , nothing you can do just wiggle up and down to see if it is ok )

(6) Header Hook up at the head ( usually leak at the head , and the idea of what is the problem )

(7) Dashes crack/split , just glue a cap on or lay a pad down.

(8) wiper motors go bad or slow

(9) Rust ---> Under Battery Tray , FloorBoards , Frame Rails , Rocker Panels , Hatch Sill ( above headlights where it latches ) Basically the whole car ! lol

(10) Bushings in front/rear suspension can be bad many times , but this is more of a maintenance/light repair issue.

I have had 3 (240z's) despite these problems , doesn't phase me , the repairs are easy , and you just have to have a little knowledge on welding sheetmetal. Owners are always looking for good body's or at least usable body parts ( like any other car ;) )

If you hold out for a "Perfect Body for a reasonable price" You will be on your deathbed still waiting ! lol ---> Repair it , Enjoy it , and Rock it knowing that nothing is 100% perfect in a real world. :lol: ( many people who like these cars , but can't work on them , can't tell the difference anyways )

If it isn't running it's worth only what you can get for the parts. Realistically you can't test anything!!! Everything is a total UNKNOWN!!!

Does it overheat? Head gasket blown?, rod bearing and crank seized? clutch burned out, tranny won't shift or growls because the PO ran it dry, tranny leaks, drive shaft vibrates, rear end broken/ leaks, half shafts worn, U joints?, steering worn out? brakes work or need work, electrical problems, the list is ENDLESS!!!

Don't do it. Trust what you see and can prove. Can you verify any of the above as in good working order? ....... walk away.

Tell the owner to throw the intake on and take you for a ride. Yeah, if that was all he would have done it already.

Everything is a total UNKNOWN!!! The list is ENDLESS!!! Don't do it! ....... Walk away.

You're scaring me man! You're probably saving me from another lawn ornament so I'll probe the dude a bit and keep your sound advise in mind...God knows I need another car like I need another hole in my head...Which is what my girlfriend would give me if I brought another "project" home.

A basket case dime is enough right?:unsure: